Jack LaLanne -- A Modest Superman!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

I’m working on a new book (big surprise, eh? – it seems that I’m always working on a new book). Over the weekend I was researching some lifting action in the late 1930’s.

I picked up a copy of an old magazine called The Bodybuilder, which was edited by the legendary George F. Jowett.

In the issue for March – April 1937, I spotted the following. It’s on page 35, in a “News and Notes” article by Lew Dick:

“Jack LaLanne, Berkeley, Calif., sent in his picture and asked Mr. Jowett to criticize his physique.

“Criticize,” says ye editor. “I can only admire it. Run him in the Magnificent Manhood series.”

[The Magnificent Manhood series was a sort of “man of the Month” Photo display – featuring two full-page black and white photos each month. They ran Jack LaLanne’s photo alongside one of Eugene Sandow – so he was in some pretty fast company!]

So there he is, boys. It is a splendid body. His measurements are: Height, 5 ft. 7 ½ ins; weight, 178 lbs.; biceps, 16 ½ ins.; chest, 48 ½ ins.; neck, 17 ins.; waist, 28 ½ ins.; thighs, 23 ½ ins.; calves, 15 ½ ins. His body is perfectly streamlined. Don’t you think so? We do.”

I was struck by the modest nature of LaLanne’s request – asking George F. Jowett to “criticize” his physique! – and I was going to share this with you in any event. But given Jack LaLanne’s passing, I thought I’d go ahead and share the story today.

Jack LaLannne – a Physical Culture legend – and a MODEST man!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Old time physical culture was about more than merely building strength and muscle. It was about building character, as well. Character is important. It’s something I wrote about in Dinosaur Training, and it’s something you see in everything I write – including the Legacy of Iron series, and my novel of ancient Rome, Horatius. Jack LaLanne was a man with character – and we need more like him!