How I Train -- And Why

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

My daughter hates -- no, that's not the
right word -- LOATHES -- no, that's not
right either -- DESPISES -- that's it --
DESPISES the soundtrack to ROCKY BALBOA.

All because I play the soundtrack out in
the garage when I train -- and if the door
is open, you can hear it in the house --
and so she's heard it hundreds and hundreds
of times.

"Why don't you play something else?" she
asked me.

Well, there's a reason.

I'm a creature of habit.

When I train, I use the same exercises, and
I perform them in exactly the same manner.

I use the same bar.

I wear the same workout clothes, and the same
lifting shoes.

I use the same stainless steel water bottle.

I train at the same time and on the same days
(Tues, Thurs and Sun).

I dry my hands and face with the same towel,
and I sit in the same chair when I rest between
sets.

And I listen to the same music.

I also do the same exercises. There's my snatch
workout where I do warm-ups and then hit split
style snatches -- and there's my clean and jerk
workout where I do warm-up and then hit the clean
and jerk.

In the past, on other programs, I trained
different exercises (e.g., bottom position squat,
bottom position bench press, deadlifts or Trap
Bar deadlifts, etc.), but the exercises were
always the same for long periods of time. And
the idea was always the same -- strive for
improvement from workout to workout.

I try to make all the different variables THE
SAME -- except for one variable.

In every workout, I try to do BETTER than I did
in the previous workout.

Better form. Faster and smoother lifting. Deeper
and deeper concentration and focus. More weight.
More reps. More sets.

Of course, you can't add weight every time you
train (if you are an advanced lifter). But
somehow or other, you can make each workout
BETTER than the one before.

Even a lighter workout can be BETTER than the
last light workout. The weight on the bar may
be the same, but your form and focus can (and
should) be better.

In contrast to my approach, many guys always do
something different every time they train. Some
guys never train the same in any two workouts.
It's always different.

That may work better for some. For me, it works
better to keep all the variables the same -- but
try to make each workout BETTER.

That's the inside story on my workout music --
and the inside story on how I train.

As always, thanks for reading and have a great
day. If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. You can watch one of my workouts (two of
them, in fact) on DVD. I filmed it on my 54th
b'day, and it's a big hit with Dinos. The name
says it all -- GOING STRONG AT 54:

http://brookskubik.com/goingstrong.html


P.S 2. DINOSAUR ARM TRAINING is getting rave reviews.
You can grab your copy right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_armtraining.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses -- the Dinosaur
Files newsletter -- and Dinosaur Training t-shirts,
muscle shirts, sweatshirts and hoodies -- are right
here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html