Reader Feedback on How to Do 20-Rep Breathing Squats

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Quick note, and then some reader feedback on yesterday’s email message about getting started the right way on 20-rep breathing squats.

LEGACY OF IRON 4

Volume 4 in the popular Legacy of Iron series is due out in mid-November. I’ll put up an order page for it next week. So if you’re a Legacy of Iron fan, then be on the lookout. Volume 4 is on the way – and it’s non-stop action from start to finish.

READER FEEDBACK

Here’s what you had to say about yesterday’s email message on 20-rep squats. If you missed it, you can read it on the Dinosaur Training Blog -- it was posted yesterday.

“Thank you for this email. Its great to hear such practical advice about the 20-rep system. I've been wondering about this for awhile and now feel I can add it to my program.” -- Matt McKinney

“What a great news entry! It really clarified the right way to perform the 20-rep breathing squat for me. I've never done them, but planned to, and now I feel I will be starting off exactly the right way from the very beginning. Your emphasis on perfect form really hit home too. I've always made it a priority to perform each rep as perfectly as possible, and avoid the temptation to handle more weight by 'relaxing' my form a little -- but even so, I periodically check my form by lowering my weights and really emphasize absolute perfect form and a very controlled deliberate motion. Handling considerably more weight by deviating from this exact performance is a very seductive proposition, and while I can't say that I have always been immune to it in every instance, I am very conscious of the need to stay on track. Your piece for today was just the right thing to shore up my resolve to re-check and re-set for optimum form. Thanks!” – Michael Dumas

“Great much needed advice. I will put it into action today.” – Jay Mims

“Good topic for the e-mail! I am getting ready to re-start the 20 rep squat work out, I have done it twice before for about 6 weeks each time. I usually start at 135 pounds. That’s very light but I like to break in and work my way up. Better safe than sorry. Keep bringing us the great e-mails, and I cant wait to get the new Dino Files soon!” – Jim Sparlin

“Amen on the 20 rep squat methodology. The take your 10 rep max and do 20 is ludicrous.” -- Frank Tirelli

“Great advice and timely as the 20 rep squat seems to be going through a revival and as you say the info on how to do it is abysmal. I never liked doing high reps but when I started at the gym as a kid I was made to do a lot of reps before I was allowed to touch weights. E.g. 30 pushups and 100 squats. The way Maurice, my mentor, started me on 20-rep squats was to find a weight I could just manage 12 reps in good form, then try to add 1 or 2 reps at every workout until I got 20. Then stay at 20 while slowly adding weight. I actually started to like high rep squats. Always felt a sense of achievement afterward. Have a great day.” – Peter Yates

“Thank you for providing SENSIBLE information on the 20-rep squat routine.” – Rick Helley

“Common sense should dictate, if you use your 10 rep MAX, you should not be able to perform much more than 10 reps and definitely not 20 reps (unless the muscle comics and I have different definitions of what MAX means, which is quite possible).” -- Mikkel Stargaard

“Brooks, another way to go is to start at 10 reps and work up to 20, which I think is what Peary Rader originally advised, the idea being distilled down to "get 20 reps with a 10-rep weight". Obviously to do that, you have to stretch out the set, which is where the breathing comes in. ALL of this comes under the header of REST-PAUSE (aka split-set). Works really well in clean and press. Obviously, you can do more weight in the clean and press with a 10-second pause between reps than you can doing 10 consecutive reps. Not rocket science but gets results. Best always.” -- Paul Murray

QUESTIONS FROM READERS

Q. “One simple question. Am I supposed to do 20 straight reps with the breaths or is it more like 20 sets of 1 rep (meaning squat, rack, breathe, squat, rack, breathe, etc.)? Thanks.” -- Lorne Sturdivant

A. The preferred method is to do 20 reps, with 3 -5 deep breaths in-between each rep. So the bar is on your shoulders the whole time – which means you have to work hard on each breath to raise your chest and shoulders high enough to fill your lungs to the maximum.

Q. You forgot to mention remembering how to accurately count your reps. I know it sounds stupid but how often did you forget how many reps you have done. Can you cover this?” – Dennis Smith

A. This is where deep focus and deep concentration comes into play. It’s something you have to practice. Again, that’s why I like to start light and learn how to do your 20-rep squats perfectly before you start to pile weight on the bar.

Of course, if you have a training partner who can count the reps, that is ideal.

Q. “Have U heard of the Hise Squat? I'm sure U have.” – Larry Albritton

A. Of course – I cover the Hise squat in Strength, Muscle and Power. It’s a heavy support lift with deep breathing. You put a heavy weight on the bar and do the breathing part of the breathing squat for 20 or 30 reps. No squats --- just breathing. Developed by Joseph C. Hise – hence the name. Also referred to as “dinky squats” by Harry Paschall. If you do these, do them in a power rack! You’ll be using way too much weight to do them safely outside of a power rack.

THE WRAP UP

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I’m glad you enjoyed the topic. We’ll keep them going for you.

As always, thanks for reading, and have a great day – and if you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. For more information on gaining weight, building muscle and developing maximum strength and power, grab a copy of:

1. Dinosaur Training: Lost Secrets of Strength and Development

2. Strength, Muscle and Power, and

3. For older lifters -- Gray Hair and Black Iron

You can find them at the Dinosaur Training website -- www.brookskubik.com