10 Big Strength Training and Muscle Building Mistakes

Here's an exercise from Dinosaur Bodyweight Training - and it's a very good one. I wish I had done it when I was a kid! But, like all of us, I made  a lot of mistakes back then . . .


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

We all make mistakes, and in that regard,
I'm no different than anyone else.

I've made plenty of mistakes over the
years.

But there's a positive side to making
mistakes. Hopefully, they teach you
a better way of doing things.

And if you're lucky, you can learn
from other people's mistakes. That
saves time, effort, and can even help
you avoid unnecessary injuries.

So I thought I'd share The Top 10
Training Mistakes I Made When I
Was a Kid.

Hopefully, this will help you avoid making
some of the mistakes that I made.

Don't laugh too hard when you read
these. They were things I did in junior
high and high school -- a very long
time ago. And in my defense, we all
made these mistakes back then.

The Top 10 Training Mistakes I
Made
When I Was a Kid

1.  I read the muscle magazines.

a. Worse, I believed them.

b. In fact, I did more than believe them.
I memorized them. I was brainwashed by
them.

2. I tried the Get Big Drink.

a. I did NOT get big. I got sick.

b. Very sick.

c. Sick for days.

3. I used soy-based protein powder.

a. We all did. And it was terrible for
us.

b. Soy powder is incredibly nasty. And
the stuff they sold back then was the
worst of the worst.

c. You do know that it was pig feed
before they figured out they could
sell it to aspiring bodybuilders and
weightlifters . . . . right?

4. I didn't do Olympic lifting.

a. For some reason. Olympic lifting
all but disappeared in the USA in the
60's and 70's.

b. I really wish our coaches had trained
us in Olympic lifting. What a difference
it would have made.

c. Even teaching us power cleans, high
pulls and push presses would have been
a huge improvement.

5. I used machines instead of free
weights.

a. Including the Universal Gym.

b. Of course, all the pro athletes did
the same thing.

c. Related point: I should have used
heavy awkward objects along with my
barbells and dumbbells.

d. I should have done old-school
dumbbell training (the kind I teach
in Dinosaur Dumbbell Training).

6. I did long, slow running instead of
sprints and other fast, short-burst cardio
work.

a. The long, slow stuff didn't have very
much carry-over to wrestling, which is
what I was training for in high school --
but it's what all of us did back then. We
thought it would help us.

7. I used high-volume bodybuilding
programs.

a. The magazines said that was the
way to be a champion.

b. It wasn't.

c. And besides, why train like a body-
builder if you were a wrestler?

8. I didn't do anywhere near enough leg
and back work.

a. None of us did.

9. I didn't do anywhere near enough grip
work.

a. I don't think my high school even had
anything for the grip -- other than a wrist
roller thingie on the Universal Gym.

b. I wish I had done the farmer's walk
back then.

c. Or used thick handled barbells and
dumbbells.

10. I didn't do enough bodyweight training --
which would have been an excellent program
for a high school wrestler.

a. The muscle magazines never said anything
about bodyweight training.

So there you have it: 10 big mistakes that I
made almost 50 years ago.

And here's the thing -- many people are still
making one or more of those mistakes -- or
very similar mistakes -- and some people are
making ALL of them.

That's a shame. There's a much better way
of doing things. I teach it in all of my books
and courses, including:

Dinosaur Training

The book they call "the Bible of strength
training." A must have for all serious
trainees - and a best-seller since 1996.




Gray Hair and Black Iron

The best and most detailed book ever written
about real world training for mature lifters
and Iron Slingers.

Includes 50 different workouts for older
Dinos.




Chalk and Sweat

50 different training programs - from beginner
to intermediate to advanced - along with special
programs for building maximum strength and
muscle mass.




Dinosaur Bodyweight Training

The best book ever written on old-school
bodyweight training - with tons of fun exercises
and over 50 different workouts.




Dinosaur Dumbbell Training

A complete guide to old-school dumbbell
training - with many forgotten exercises -
and over 50 different dumbbell workouts.




In other words, help is here - right at
your fingertips.

You don't have to make my mistakes. I
made them. You can learn from them.

Train the right way. Unlock your full potential.

Train with maximum effectiveness - and make
every rep of every workout really count!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. if you train today, make it a good
one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. My other books and courses --
including links to all of my e-books on
Kindle -- are right here at Dino
Headquarters:

Hard-copy and PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/oldschool_01-kindle.html

P.S. 2. 

Thought for the Day: 

"Those who ignore the lessons of history
are doomed
to repeat them -- and that
includes the
lessons of the Iron Game." 

-- Brooks Kubik

Brooks Kubik's Kindle Books

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html

We have over 25 books and courses in the Kindle store - including these:








 
For even more Kindle books by Brooks Kubik, visit: