My View of Food Supplements

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Yesterday we got into the issue of
protein powder.

Is it necessary for big gains?

Or for that matter, is ANY supplement
necessary for big gains?

In response, let me make a couple of
observations:

1. Personal example. When I was a kid, I used
protein supplements, wheat germ oil, vitamin/mineral
pills, liver tablets and all the other stuff
they sold back then. I chugged the infamous "Get
Big Drink" like it was going out of style. All I
ever got from it was a 3-day belly-ache.

1a. Later in life (age 29 or 30), I started to follow
abbreviated workout programs and THAT was when I really
started to make good gains.

I used a protein supplement for a few months, and then
stopped and just relied on good food. I made BETTER gains
on the food. As in, gaining over 30 pounds of muscle.

1b. Right now, I take no supplements of any kind (not even
a vitamin/mineral tablet). Instead, I rely on good, high
quality food, including a ton of fresh veggies from my backyard
vegetable garden (where I grow veggies that are 100 percent
natural and organic in soil that I enrich with compost and kelp
and seaweed and all sorts of amendments that greatly increase
their nutritional content).

2. Historical examples. John Grimek. Steve Stanko. Otto Arco.
Sig Klein. Arthur Saxon. Thomas Inch. Louis Cyr. Apollon. John
Y. Smith. Maxick. John Marx. Herman Goerner. Charles Rigoulot.
John Davis. Tony Terlazzo. No protein powder. No food supplements.
Just heavy training and good food.

2A. Steve Reeves, Reg Park, Tommy Kono, Doug Hepburn, Norb
Schemansky and Paul Anderson. Maybe they took some kind of
supplements (or not) but the stuff available to them in the
early and mid-50's was strictly fourth rate. Eating the boxes
it came in would have been better. So relaly, thse men fall into
the "no supplement" category as well.

3. Recent conversation with Frank Spellman -- Olympic Gold Medal
winner in 1948. I asked Frank what the lifters ate to build world
class strength and power "back in the day." His answer: "Steak and
potatoes!"

So, back to the questions.

Are supplements necessary?

Not at all.

Is it okay to take them?

Hey, you're an adult. If you want to try a supplement of some sort,
then do so. If you think it helps, fine. if not, consider it a
worthwhile experiment.

But whatever you do, remember that there's ONE THING -- and ONE THING
ONLY -- that builds strength, muscle and power.

It's regular, hard training -- progressive poundages -- basic compound
exercises -- and the iron will to succeed.

As always, thanks for reading, and have a great day. If you train today,
make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. To learn more about how to build world class strength, muscle and
power, head on over to the Dinosaur Training Bookstore:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html