Should You Plan Your Workouts or Train Based on How You Feel?

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

A reader asked me whether I always plan
my workouts before training or whether I
base the workout on how I feel that day.

That's a good question, and it's one that
seems to puzzle lots of people -- probably
because they view it as an "either/or" when
it's really a "bit of both."

To begin with, I always have a long term
training plan, and long term goals -- usually
a one year plan, but sometimes a bit longer.

To get there, I break things down into a
series of mini-cycles. I like to do one month
mini-cycles. I set specific goals for each of
the one month cycles.

I alternate lighter weeks with more volume
and heavier weeks with less volume.

This is a simple but effective way for an older
Dino to train. I call it "simple cycling." It's a
way of maximizing recovery by using a
combination of light, medium and heavy
days.

I always go back through my training log,
and review the last couple of workouts,
and then write up my workout -- with
all of the exercises, sets, reps and
weights.

So the answer to the question is "Yes, I plan
my workouts very carefully."

But I also listen to my body, and based on
how I feel on a given day, I may change
things up a little once I start training.

Mike Burgener has a good way of putting it:

"When the oven is hot, you do your cooking."

In other words, if everything is clicking on a
given day, use more weight or do more sets
or more reps.

BUT -- and this is very important -- you also
need to go lighter and easier on those days
when that oven just won't heat up.

And this is one of the very hardest things to
learn. But it's also one of the most important.

If you're having an off day and you try to push
through it, things usually don't go very well. It's
better to train light, and then come back and
hit it harder another time.

Of course, you don't want to take it too easy
too often -- but if you're a Dino, there's not
much danger of that happening.

So plan your workouts -- but listen to your body,
and make any necessary adjustments after you
chalk your hands and get going.

Hope that helps!

As always, thanks for reading, and have a great
day. If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Gray Hair and Black Iron covers simple
cycling sytems for older trainees -- and details
over 50 great workouts for older Dinos:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. Progression is the name of the game,
and I cover a variety of very effective progression
systems in Dinosaur Training Secrets, Vol. 3:

Hard copy

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_secrets_03.html

Kindle e-book

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_secrets3_kindle.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses -- and Dinosaur
Training DVDs -- are right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "Think, plan, and
pay attention." -- Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************