A Gold Medal Tip for Healthy Shoulders

The Dinosaur Dungeon. Note the Indian clubs back against the far wall.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Here's a gold medal training tip for
shoulder health.

I call it a gold medal tip because I
got it from Tommy Kono -- and Tommy
Kono is a two-time Olympic gold medal
winner and six-time World champion in
weightlifting.

We were talking about the neoprene
knee sleeves that so many lifters use
to help sore knees. Tommy invented
them back in the 1960s. The first ones
were made from an old scuba suit.

I told Tommy that the knee sleeves had
probably saved more lifting careers than
anything else ever invented -- and then
I said, "I wish there was something
similar for the shoulders."

"Do you have shoulder problems?" he
asked.

"I do," I said. "I hurt my right shoulder
when I was in high school, and it's
bothered me ever since."

"Well, I know something that might help,"
he said. "It's something that I do every
day. It's really good for the shoulders."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Indian clubs," said Tommy.

"Indian clubs?"

"That's right. I swing them every day. They
make my shoulders feel great."

Well, as I said, that was a gold medal tip.

And you don't get too many gold medal
tips in life.

So I ordered a pair of light wooden Indian
clubs from John Wood -- and I started to
swing them -- and they've been a regular
part of my training program ever since.

In fact, I hit the iron last night -- a workout
consisting of all squat style snatches, which
require strong and flexible shoulders -- and
I started the workout with 10 minutes of
club swinging to get my shoulders nice and
loose.

It worked, too. I had a great workout.

I wish I had started to use Indian clubs when
I was a kid. They might have saved me from
some of the shoulder problems that I've had
over the years.

Still, as they say, it's better late than never.

And I'm very happy that I'm using them now.
Dinos need heavy iron -- but they also need
some light wooden Indian clubs. The clubs
are a very simple training tool -- but they
can make all the difference in the world.

And that's your gold medal tip of the day.

I hope it helps -- especially for anyone who
has nagging shoulder problems of one sort
or another.

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a
good one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. I bought my Indian clubs from John
Wood. The one-pounders are probably
best; if you want to go heavier, grab the
two-pounders:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/products/classic-wooden-indian-clubs

P.S. 2. Thought for the Day: "There's nothing
wrong with old-fashioned and simple as long
as it works." -- Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************