Yes, I'm a Garage Gorilla!


Rich Abbott pulls a heavy deadlift.  Rich began his training career at the American College of Modern Weightlifting -- a garage gym in Akron, Ohio that produced World and Olympic Champion, Pete George.

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Yes, I admit it. I'm a garage gorilla.

I often write about celler dwellers and
garage gorillas -- meaning Dinos who
train in their home gyms. That includes
quite a few of you. And it includes me,
as well.

There are many reasons to train at home.
Here are some of mine:

1. No distractions.

1A. Meaning no talk radio, no television,
no talking, no bros doing bro stuff, no
pumpers doing curls in the power rack,
no one chattering on their cell phone,
and no talking about bodybuilding, the
latest and greatest super supplement
or  the new super roidskie that can put
(they claim) 27 inches on your upper
arms in just two hours.

1B. "Distraction is a physical culturist's
worst enemy." Bradley J. Steiner

2. Better concentration.

2A. Intense, focused concentration is one
of the keys to strength training success.

3. Better bars.

3A. Most gyms have second or third rate
bars. Some are so bad that you really
don't want to use them -- and you
definitely don't want to load them
heavy.

4. Better equipment. Meaning better quality
equipment. Too many gyms spend big bucks
on the silly stuff that gets people in the door
(e.g., cardio theater), and then they don't
have money for the kind of heavy duty bars
and power racks a  Dino needs.

5. The EXACT equipment you need -- most
of which is not going to be found at a gym:

high quality Olympic bar

lifting platform

bumper plates

super-strong power rack

sandbags

thick bars

farmers' walk implements

rocks

barrels

grip tools

6. No drugs, no super supplements and
no bad advice.

7. No one will kick you out of the gym for
using chalk, grunting or doing heavy
deadlifts.

8. Music. I get to pick it. Or no music if
I prefer no music that day.

9. Better posters on the wall: John Grimek,
Steve Stanko, John Davis, Doug Hepburn,
Reg park, etc.

A. The posters we include with hard copy
orders for books and courses are pretty
good for your home gym.

10. I can do exactly what I want, how I
want, when I want. And at age 58, having
trained for almost 50 years, I'm entitled.

Of course, if you train at a gym you can
always make it work -- you just need to
work really hard to stay focused, and you
need to rev up your powers of concentration.

You also need to avoid the negative people,
the doubters, the naysayers, the talkers,
the whiners, the complainers, and the folks
who want to argue with you about everything
you do.

Anyhow, that's why I train at home.

Oh -- there's one more reason.

It's exactly 27 steps from the garage to the
back door -- and Trudi has dinner ready for
me after I train!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, WHEREVER
you train, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

1. Dinosaur Dumbbell Training and Dinosaur
Bodyweight training are great additions to
your training program:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dumbbelltraining.html

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_bodyweight.html

2. My other books and courses are right
here at Dino Headquarters -- along with
links to all of my e-books on Kindle:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

3. Thought for the Day: "I train alone, but
I always train with the Dinos." -- Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************