Good Food, Good Lifting

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

It's wintertime, and Trudi's been doing
some back to basics wintertime cooking.

Lots of thick homemade soups and stews.

For example:

Dinosaur Beef Soup.

She starts with a couple of beef bones
from the Farmer's Market.

They're from a local farmer who raises
free range beef.

She simmers them forever.

Throws them in the pot, turns the heat
on low, and tells me to go hit the iron.

So I go out to the garage and hit some
snatches and clean and jerks.

Meanwhile, she roasts some garlic, adds
it to the broth -- grills some onions --
adds them to the broth -- and throws in all
sorts of other veggies: carrots, celery,
celeriac, parsnips, mushrooms, tomatoes,
turnips, rutabagas, chard, kale, spinach,
assorted other greens, fresh herbs, sweet
potatoes, butternut squash, and who knows
what else -- and lets it simmer and
simmer until the fresh taste and the
goodness are ready to explode.

I finish my workout, lock up the garage
and go back into the house.

"Is it ready?" I ask.

She shakes her head.

"I'm going to cook it on low for awhile,"
she says. "Eat something else."

So I make do with a gigantic five-egg
omelet thingie with bacon and cheese and
every vegetable under the sun worked into
it.

The only thing it doesn't have is watermelon.

Watermelon wouldn't work in an omelet.

Meanwhile, Trudi cooks the soup over night.
She even adds some extra garlic -- and some
more veggies -- and some awesome smelling
spices.

Our cats refuse to go outside for the
night because the soup smells so good. 

The next day, I ask if the soup is for
dinner.

She shakes her head.

"No, it needs more time."

I make due with pork tenderloin, fresh
Brussels sprouts and some other veggies.

The next night, I ask about the soup.

"Are you lifting?" she asks.

I nod my head.

"Of course I am."

"What are you doing?" she asks.

"Nothing but squats."

"Well, do them right and you might get
some soup."

It's a challenge.

I dress for battle, go out to the garage,
warm up, and spend the next 45 minutes on
some serious squatting.

I go back inside, covered with chalk and
dripping with sweat.

"How was your workout?" she asks.

"It was good," I say.

"That's nice," she says. "How would you
like some soup?"

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. If you want to earn some serious good
cooking, try one of these:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_armtraining.html

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dumbbelltraining.html

http://brookskubik.com/johngrimek_course.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses -- and DVD's --
are right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Good food, good
lifting, great results." Brooks Kubik