New Shoulders In a Box (With an Important Update)

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

I sent this email out earlier in the year, 
but I wanted to send it out again for two
reasons.

First, I recently got an email from a
Dino who ordered the Top Squat and
the Log Bar from John Wood, and says
that they have really helped with some 
shoulder problems. (Which is something
I hear fairly often.)

Second -- I have heard through the
grapevine that the Top Squat may not
be available much longer, and if you
want one, you should take immediate
action.

And since shoulders are important,
I thought I should dust off this email
and fire it on out to you.

So here goes . . .
 
We were talking about preserving and 
protecting your shoulders last week, 
and that reminded me of some things
that are awfully good for them.

They're tools that I use, and they're
tools that many Dinos use -- particularly,
many older Dinos. I've suggested them to
readers before, and whenever I do, I always 
get emails a month or two later from someone
who says, "Took your advice -- and it
really helped."

But they're also important tools for younger
Dinos. If you start using them NOW, your 
shoulders will be in better shape when
you're older. 

So here they are:

1. The Dave Draper Top Squat

Many older trainees find it hard to
hold onto a squat bar when they do back 
squats -- and some can't even get into
position to do the movement. Their
shoulders just aren't flexible enough.

So they end up doing front squats or
Trap Bar squats -- or skipping their 
leg work -- or doing second and third
rate exercises like leg extensions or
leg presses.

Enter the Dave Draper Top Squat.

This is a simple device that fits onto
your barbell and allows you to hold the
bar in position with your hands out to
the front.

You're tight, solid and in complete 
control -- and there's no problem
getting into proper position, even
if you have the tightest shoulders 
in the world. 

You can buy this direct from Dave Draper,
or order it from John Wood (who sells the
Top Squat under a license with Dave Draper).

To order from Dave Draper:

http://www.davedraper.com/top-squat.html

To order from John Wood:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/products/dave-drapers-top-squat-1

2. Indian Clubs

Indian clubs are light (1 to 2 pound)
wooden clubs that look a little like
skinny bowling pins.

They were popular in the 1880's, 1890's
and early 1900's, and many of you my age
can recall seeing them lying around a
school gym or YMCA when you were young.

You use them to perform a variety of
shoulder exercises, using rotational
movements and moving the shoulder joints
through a wide range of motion.

They're not a strength builder. They're
a way to keep your shoulders loose,
flexible and supple. 

Note that you do NOT need heavy clubs.
You want them light. One pound clubs
are plenty, and 1.5 pounders are also
good. Two pound clubs are as heavy as I
would recommend.

I started to use them on the advice of
Tommy Kono -- so you can say that this is
a Gold Medal Training Tip -- coming from 
a two-time Olympic Gold Medal Winner and
six-time World Champion. 

I use the clubs as a part of my regular
warm-up in every workout, and they work
GREAT. 

How great?

Well, I'm 57, and I've had more than my
share of shoulder problems - starting with 
a bad injury when I was a high school
wrestler 40 years ago. 

But I can do squat snatches -- and that
requires pretty darn flexible (and strong
and health) shoulders. 

And the Indian clubs have helped me do it.

I ordered my clubs from John Wood:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/products/classic-wooden-indian-clubs

So there you have it. Two unique tools
to help preserve and protect your shoulders.

Grab them now. It will be like getting new
shoulders in a box.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. I cover plenty of other  tips about
preserving and protecting your shoulders
in Gray Hair and Black Iron and the Dinosaur
Military Press and Shoulder Power Course:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

http://www.brookskubik.com/militarypress_course.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are right
here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Treat your 
shoulders right. They deserve it." -- Brooks
Kubik 
 
************************************************