The Rest Between Sets Question!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

We'll talk training in just a minute, but
first, let me share two updates:

1. Dinosaur Training Secrets, Vol. 1

This is my new course, and for the
very first time, it's available in both
e-book and hard-copy:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_secrets_01.html

If you ordered the Kindle version, please
post a review on the Kindle page -- the
reviews really help us.

2. The Dinosaur Files Quarterly

Issue no. 2 of the Dinosaur Files quarterly
is just about finished. We'll put up a link
so you can order your copy very soon.
The little monster should be printed
and ready to ship next week.

You're going to like it -- it has a ton of
great material.

On the training front, here's another one
of those questions that I get all the time:

"How long should I rest between sets?"

"How long should I rest between heavy
singles?"

"Is it okay to rest [fill in any number of
minutes] between sets?"

So let's talk about the rest between sets
thing.

And to be specific, let's talk about rest
between sets when you're training to
build strength and muscle mass -- as
opposed to a conditioning or endurance
workout. You train faster, with less rest,
when you do conditioning work.

First of all, there's no one single correct
answer. A number of factors affect how
long to rest from one set to the next:

1. You can go faster (take less rest) on
your warm-up sets. I typically just rest
long enough to change the weights, and
perhaps have a sip of water. So my rest
time is perhaps 1 to 1 1/2 mins.

2. In between your heavier sets, you go
a bit slower -- perhaps 2 to 3 mins.

3. The more reps you do in a given set,
the more rest you need between sets.

4. You need more rest between sets of
squats and deadlifts than any other
exercise.

5. If you do multiple work sets on any
exercise, you need to rest long enough
to fully recover and be ready for the
next set.

6. As you train, your conditioning level
will improve, and you can go a bit faster.

7. You can usually go faster in cold or
cool weather than in hot weather.

8. I can train faster (less rest between
sets) when I do an Olympic lifting workout
than when I am doing power rack or
powerlifting workouts. You may find the
same thing to be true.

a. I rest 2 or 3 mins between heavy sets
when I do OL training. That increases to
5 to 7 mins for power rack or powerlifting
workouts.

b. IMPORTANT: Do not go so fast that
you get a pump if you are doing OL or
PL. A pump affects your coordination
and timing, especially in OL training.

9. I can train very fast when I do all-
dumbbell workouts or bodyweight
workouts.

a. I do lots of supersets in bodyweight
workouts. See Dinosaur Bodyweight
Training for details and workouts.

b. In dumbbell workouts, I do several
different exercises with the dumbbells
loaded to a given weight, and then add
more weight and repeat. This reduces
the time spent changing plates, and
let's me go very fast. See Dinosaur
Dumbbell Training or my Dumbbell
Training DVD for the exercises and
workouts.

10. The bottom line is this -- take the time
you need to get ready for the next set. You
are training to build strength and muscle
mass, and that means you need to use
heavy weights -- and you need to be ready
to lift them. Don't go so fast that you can't
give the next set what it requires.

Anyhow, I hope that helps -- and I hope
that 2015 is your best year ever for strength
and health!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a
good one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Here's the link again for the new course,
in your choice of e-book or hard-copy format:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_secrets_01.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are right
here at Dino Headquarters:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "There's no one
right answer in strength training, but there
are plenty of things that work better than
other things -- and plenty of things that don't
work well at all." -- Brooks Kubik

***************************************