Last Night's Workout

Barbell, basement, lifter - the good things in life never seem to change.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

The winter weather has been crazy this year,
and I know that many of you are staying at
home - or working on shoveling out, which
is a full time job for many Dinos in places
where it has snowed.

We haven't had to deal with snow or ice,
but it HAS been bitterly cold here in Louis-
ville.

My last outdoor workout was on Christmas.
Since then, I've been training down in the
basement.

But even in the basement, it's been pretty
darn cold. So I bundle up in double layers,
throw on a fisherman's hat, and stick to
basic, easy to perform movements that
work better when it's hard (or impossible)
to get a good warm-up and stay loose and
limber.

Last night I did back squats, using my Dave
Draper Top Squat device. It's a good exercise
for cold weather training.

I really like this piece of equipment. It's made
to order for older Dinos with tight shoulders
that make it difficult or impossible to hold a
squat bar with a conventional hands on the
bar grip.

Anyhow, I warmed up - as much as I could -
and then did *lots* of squats for the next
hour or so.

I twisted my back in June, and have not been
able to do squats or front squats for about
five months, so I am working back into them
very slowly and conservatively.

Right now, I am viewing the Top Squat work
as more of a rehabilitation program than any-
thing else.

That means light weight and many sets. I do
five reps per set.

Last night I did 20 sets of five reps - which of
course is way more than I would do if I were
using heavy weights on my work sets.

But for the present - in rehab mode - the high
sets work pretty well.

Rehab work means light weight and many reps -
although you can break them into many sets, as
I did last night.

I also super-setted some laundry with my squats.
We have a washer and dryer down in the base-
ment, and they both put out a bit of heat - so I
made sure I had both the washer and the dryer
going for half an hour before I trained - and for
the entire time that I was training.

It didn't help much, but it helped a little - and
that was good.

When it comes to cold weather training, every
little thing that helps keep you warm will help
you have a great workout.

And besides, super-setting squats and laundry
is a good way to keep your wife happy - and
that's always a good thing!

Anyhow, that was last night's workout - nothing
heavy and nothing earth shattering, but all of it
a step on the road toward achieving my strength
and health goals for the coming year.

You're probably doing something very similar -
so if you train today, STAY WARM - and make it
a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. If you're snowbound or the mailman can't
get through to you, grab my books and courses
in PDF format with immediate electronic delivery -
or grab my books and courses in the Kindle book-
store.

You can find the links to them right here:

Hard-copy and PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html

P.S. 2. Thought for the Day:

"Bundle up, stay warm, train smart, and make
every workout count."

- Brooks Kubik

BEFORE YOU LEAVE . . .

We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - here are several of them - head on over and take a look at the others: