Dinosaur Training Q and A -- More Hot Weather Training Tips!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Quick reminder, and then some Q and A.
My buddy John Wood still has some complete
12 issue sets of the 1943 run of Strength
and Health mag -- but they're going fast.
No wonder, either, because these are GREAT
vintage mags, and the whole 12 issue set
runs a mere 40 clams:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/strengthandhealth1943.html

And now -- some training Q and A.

Lee Anderton sent in the following question,
which may be of interest to many readers. It
presents a very common question:

"I have a quick question about very bad
performance in a single exercise in what was
generally a good workout.

I have recently come back to training after a 15
year lay-off. My goal is to get back to where I
was previously and then push on from there. I am
38 years old but still with the mental energy of
a 20 year old if you know what I mean. My question
is this.

I have been performing really well with what I
consider good solid progress in bench, bent over
row, deadlifts, curls, standing press, and high
pulls. However, my squatting is really suffering
and if anything it feels like it is getting worse.

I am resting 3 - 4 days between workouts and make
progress on every exercise in every workout apart
from squats. I recently performed 6 reps with 120
kg (265 lbs.), but 5 days later could only get 2
reps with the same weight. However, all the other
exercises were stronger than the previous session.

I was on my feet all day and it was extremely humid
so I was sweating most of the day and may not have
had enough fluids. Could it simply be that I was
dehydrated and it was just the big whole body
lift of squats that suffered because my legs were
tired? Do I just put this down to a bad day and
suck it up and push on?

Lee"

Hi Lee -- Thanks for your email, and good job on
getting back to the iron. At age 38, you have many
years of great lifting ahead of you -- and you can
look ahead to being stronger than ever when you hit
the big 4-0!

As for your question, I think you answered it -- it
is very hard to squat heavy if you've been on your
feet all day, and that goes double or triple in
extremely hot weather.

Do this:

1. Drink lots of fluids (water) and get hydrated to
the max.

2. Eat lots of fresh green veggies, carrots, potatoes
sweet potatoes, bananas, oranges and other fruits for
the mineral content. Be sure your calcium intake is
high as well (dairy products). Remember, when you sweat,
you lose both water and minerals. So you need to be
sure to replace both of them.

3. If you drink coffee or tea -- or beer or wine -- you
are actually dehydrating yourself, so for every glass
of same have an extra glass of water.

4. For your squats, I want you to back off a bit and
build back up. Get your groove and your confidence back.

Use this simple progression:

a. 100 kilos (220 lbs.) for 1 x 5

b. 100 kilos (220 lbs.) for 2 x 5

c. 100 kilos (220 lbs. for 3 x 5

d. 102.5 kilos (225 lbs.) for 1 x 5

e. 102.5 kilos (225 lbs.) for 2 x 5

f. 102.5 kilos (225 lbs.) for 3 x 5

g. 105 kilos (231 lbs.) for 1 x 5

And so on from there, following the above pattern. This
gives you three workouts at each weight level, adding one
5 rep set per session. It helps build your confidence, and
assures that you are always eager to go out and hit it
hard.

As for those long days on your feet -- if it happens
again, skip a workout or divide it into upper and lower
body and save the squats for another day.

Remember -- drink water. Stay super-hydrated!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. At age 38, Lee is ready for Gray Hair and Black Iron --
and so are many of the rest of you. It lays out EXACTLY what
works for an older lifter, and details over 50 different
workouts for Dinos age 35 and up. If you don't have a copy
grab one now:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2 Younger readers should grab Dinosaur Training, Chalk
and Sweat and Strength, Muscle and Power -- 3 killer books
with killer training programs for strength and muscle. You
can find them here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html


P.S. I keep saying it, because it's important. Keep drinking
lots of water!