Dinosaur Q and A on the Essential Exercises!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

We've been talking about the Essential Exercises
this week, and I've been getting lots of feedback
from readers.

So let's cover some of the more common questions.

Q. Why didn't Bradley J. Steiner include deadlifts
as one of the Essential exercises?

A. Steiner preferred stiff legged deadlifts. Personally,
I prefer deadlifts. I think stiff legged deadlifts are
best done with a LIGHT weight, more for stretching and
flexibility than heavy strength training. Some men (Dr.
Ken) for example, thrive on heavy stiff legged deadlifts.
I guess it depends on your body structure as much as
anything else.

Q. Why didn't you include deadlifts in your list of
All Out Total Body Exercises?

A. Because I was focusing on FAST movements -- what some
refer to as Explosive Lifting or Athletic Style Strength
Training. And note that clean grip high pulls are very
similar to a fast deadlift.

Q. Why didn't Steiner include Trap Bar Deadlifts on his
list?

A. Because the Trap Bar hadn't been invented then. If it
had been available, he might well have suggested that
readers try it. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Trap
Bar. For more info on Trap Bar training, go here:

http://www.trapbartraining.com/

Q. What about dips?

A. I know some of you are going to hate this answer, but
Steiner preferred bench press and dumbbell incline press.
So do I. Dips are a great movement for young guys, and many
do them and use added weight and really enjoy them -- but
they are very hard on the shoulder joint. I have rec'd
I don't know how many letters and emails over the years
from guys who hurt their shoulder doing heavy dips. IF
YOU MUST DO THEM, do them slow and strict with NO BOUNCING
and do NOT go too deep at the bottom. And if you're older
and heavier, skip them entirely.

Q. Steiner's list of Essential Exercises is pretty old-school.

A. Right -- that's why I like it, and why I shared it with
you.

Q. What about Nautilus machines? I know those were really big
back in the 70's and 80's.

A. They were indeed. Steiner actually thought they were pretty
good (he liked Arthur Jones one set to failure ideas), but he
also noted (as did Jones) that you could get great results with
nothing other than a barbell and squat stands.

I've shared my own experiences with Nautilus training in the
past, but to recap briefly: (1) I tore the heck out of my shoulder
on the Nautilus Pullover Torso machine, and it still bothers me
some 35 years later, and (2) Brooks after Nautilus, 165 lbs. --
Brooks after Dino Training, 225 lbs. Do the math.

Those are some of the more common questions -- I'll cover some
others later in the week.

As always, thanks for reading and have a great day. If you train
today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Readers often ask me what book to start with. Let me offer
a suggestion. For beginners, start with CHALK AND SWEAT. For
experienced lifters, start with DINOSAUR TRAINING or with STRENGTH,
MUSCLE AND POWER. Older readers (age 35 and up) should read GRAY HAIR
and BLACK IRON. And EVERYONE should subscribe to the DINOSAUR FILES
monthly newsletter. You can find all of them right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. Keep the feedback and the questions coming! I'll try to answer as much as I can in my email messages and blog posts.