"I Don't Think You Should Do That!" He Said.

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

A quick reminder -- we're in the middle of
our pre-publication special for my new book
on diet and nutrition for Dinos.

The title is KNIFE, FORK, MUSCLE.

Read about it here:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_nutrition.html

The response has been off the charts so far --
so let me add a great big THANK YOU to
everyone who has stepped up and taken
action.

On the training front . . .

I got an email from a guy who said -- and I
quote:

"I don't think you should do Olympic lifting
any more. I don't think anyone in their 50's
should do snatches and cleans. They're not
safe. You should stick to bodybuilding now."

Okay, so let's talk about that.

First of all, I'm 57, and I'm a father x 3 and a
grandfather x 2, and it's my garage and my
weights and I can do what I want to do when
I train.

Second, I do Olympic lifting in part because I
enjoy the athleticism of the lifts. Simply put,
they are FUN to do. They FEEL good.

Go back and reread yesterday's email about
doing things that you like to do.  That's very
important if you plan to keep training from
now until the end of your days.

Third, Olympic lifting does a lot of very good
things for me:

1. It builds muscle.

2. It works my legs, hips and back really hard.

3. It requires balance, coordination and mobility.

4. It requires fast footwork.

5. It requires flexibility.

6. It requires deep concentration and focus
while moving at a fast speed.

6a. Think what that does to integrate and link
your mind and your muscles.

6b. And your neurological system.

6c. Note that throughout this list the word
requires" really means "both requires and
develops or maintains."

7. It builds bone density and bone strength.

Is it dangerous?

No more so than anything else -- and probably
much less than most things.

Remember three things.

First, I know how to do the lifts and I drill all the
time to work my form and technique. Obviously,
if you don't know how to do the lifts, you start
by finding a qualified coach and getting some
instruction.

Second, I train heavy but I never sacrifice good
form and technique to lift more weight. In other
words, I train heavy but not too heavy -- and I
always try to train smart.

Third, Olympic lifting is controlled and precise
lifting. It is a form of gymnastics with a barbell.
Unless you perform the lifts properly -- which
means UNDER CONTROL -- you can't lift very
much.

Many people confuse speed with loss of control.
They assume you need to move slowly in order
to control the weight.

That may be true when applied to curls, but it's
not at all true as applied to a snatch or a clean
and jerk.

And that takes us back to point no. 6, above. When
you do Olympic lifting, you move at a fast speed,
but you move like an athlete, and you CONTROL
the weight perfectly through the entire movement.
That means your concentration and focus is
100% all the way from start to finish. And
that's what makes the lifts feel so good --
and what makes them so very valuable.

So, here's the question:

Am I going to listen to Mr. KnowItAll BusyBody and
stop doing Olympic lifting just because I'm in my
50's?

Answer:

No, and heck no!

As always, thanks for reading, and have a great day.

If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Here's the link again for KNIFE, FORK, MUSCLE:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_nutrition.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Do your training for
YOU, not for anyone else." - Brooks Kubik