10 Big Mistakes that Will Derail Your Strength Training

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

We all make mistakes, and I'm no
different than anyone else.

But there's a good side to making
mistakes. Hopefully, it teaches you
a better way of doing things.

And if you'r ereally lucky, you can
learn from other people's mistakes.
That saves time, effort and wear
and tear.

So I thought I'd share "The Top 10
Training Mistakes I Made When I
Was a Kid.
" Hopefully, this will help
you avoid making some of the
mistakes that I made.

Don't laugh too hard when you read
these. They were things I did in junior
high and high school -- a very long
time ago. And in my defense, we ALL
made these mistakes back then.

1.  I read the muscle magazines.

a. Worse, I believed them.

2. I tried the Get Big Drink.

a. I did NOT get big. I got sick.

b. Very sick.

3. I used soy-based protein powder.

a. We all did. And it was terrible for
us.

4. I didn't do Olympic lifting.

a. For some reason. Olympic lifting
all but disappeared in the USA in the
60's and 70's.

b. I really wish our coaches had trained
us in Olympic lifting. What a difference
it would have made.

c. Even teaching us power cleans, high
pulls and push presses would have been
a huge improvement.

5. I used machines instead of free
weights.

a. Including the Universal Gym.

b. Of course, all the pro athletes did
the same thing.

c. Related point: I should have used
heavy awkward objects.

d. I should have done old-school
dumbbell training (the kind I teach
in Dinosaur Dumbbell Training).

6. I did long, slow running instead of
sprints and other fast, short-burst cardio
work.

a. The long, slow stuff didn't have very
much carry-over to wrestling, which is
what I was training for in high school --
but it's what all of us did back then.

7. I used high volume bodybuilding
programs.

a. The magazines said that was the
way to be a champion.

b. It wasn't.

c. And besides, why train like a bodybuilder
if you were a wrestler?

8. I didn't do anywhere near enough leg
and back work.

a. None of us did.

9. I didn't do anywhere near enough grip
work.

a. I don't think my high school even had
anything for the grip -- other than a wrist
roller thingie on the Universal Gym.

b. I wish I had done the farmer's walk
back then.

c. Or used thick handled barbells and
dumbbells.

10. I didn't do enough bodyweight training --
which would have been an excellent program
for a high school wrestler.

a. The muscle magazines never said anything
about bodyweight training.

So there you have it: 10 big mistakes that I
made almost 50 years ago.

And here's the thing -- many people are still
making one or more of those mistakes -- or
very similar mistakes -- and some people are
making all of them.

THhat's a shame. There's a much better way
of doing things. I teach it in all of my books
and courses, from Dinosaur Training to Chalk
and Sweat
to Strength, Muscle and Power to
Dinosaur Bodyweight Training.

Don't make my mistakes. Train the right way.
Unlock your true potential.

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a good
one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Chalk and Sweat is a great book for
beginners, intermediates and advanced
trainees:

http://www.brookskubik.com/chalk_and_sweat.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses -- along
with links to my e-books on Kindle -- are
right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Those who
ignore the lessons of history are doomed
to repeat them -- and that includes the
lessons of the Iron Game." -- Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************