Why I Like Weightlifting Workouts

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

One quick update, and then we'll talk iron.

1. The Dinosaur Files Quarterly.

We're running a bit late on the September
issue of the Dinosaur Files Quarterly. It
should be printed tomorrow and we should
be able to ship it tomorrow evening or on
Thursday morning.

I apologize for the delay, but the good news
is, it's a great issue. with some terrific
articles and photos.

For the hard copy, go here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurfiles_quarterlyorder.html

We'll release the little monster as a Kindle
e-book as soon as we can.  I'll send a link
when the e-book is available.

2. Why I Like Weightlifting.

Yesterday, I shared a photo of the Dinosaur
Dungeon, a/k/a my garage gym.

Here's another photo from a different angle:

http://dinosaurtraining.blogspot.com/2015/09/another-photo-of-dinosaur-dungeon.html

As you can see, it's a one-man weightlifting
gym.

Platform, Olympic barbell, bumper plates,
and portable squat stands to move onto the
platform when it's time for squats and front
squats.

And nothing else.

So this has led to a barrage of questions
from Dinos around the world, who are
asking:

1. "Why do you do an all-weightlifting
program now?"

2. "Do you still do [fill in the blank]?"

3. "I do [fill in the blank]. Should I start
to do weightlifting?"

So I thought I'd cover those questions in
my daily emails this week.

Let's start with question no. 1: "Why do I
do weightlifting workouts now?"

There are several reasons.

First and foremost, it's fun. I enjoy it more
than anything else I might do. And when
you're close to age 60, and you've been
training for close to 50 years, it's important
to do things that are fun.

That doesn't mean that weightlifting is
good and everything else under the sun
is bad -- and it doesn't diminish the benefits
of other types of strength training. It just
means that I enjoy weightlifting workouts
more than anything else.

Second, it's a way of specializing on the
legs and back, which is always a good idea
for anyone, and an even better idea for an
older trainee.

Third, it requires a combination of strength,
power, speed, flexibility and technique.
That makes it very challenging for an older
trainee, and meeting new challenges is
one of the things that keeps you young.

Fourth, weightlifting increases your flexibility,
mobility, balance and coordination -- all
of which is very good for an older trainee.

Fifth, weightlifting is practiced around the
world -- and has been part of the Iron Game
for over 100 years -- so I can compare my
performance against others men of my own
age and bodyweight -- or against the old-
time champions such as Grimek, Stanko
and the rest of the York Gang.

Sixth, weightlifting is an athletic way of
training -- and training like an athlete can
help keep your brain and nervous system
working at a high level as you grow older.

Seventh, I find it easy to focus, concentrate
and dive into the inner universe when I do
my workouts -- which makes a weightlifting
workout a form of moving meditation for me.

There are many studies validating the beneficial
effects of exercise, as well as the beneficial
effects of meditation. So it stands to reason
that an activity that combines both has some
serious benefits.

And those are the reasons why I follow an
all-weightlifting workout.

Should YOU do weightlifting workouts?

We'll cover that question tommorow.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. I have tons of great workouts for older
Dinos -- using a wide variety of equipment
and training methods -- in Gray Hair and
Black Iron
:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. You can see exactly what my workouts
look like in this video:

http://brookskubik.com/goingstrong.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses are right
here at Dino Headquarters:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "Follow me
on Instagram and Twitter, and friend me on
Facebook -- but not while you're doing heavy
squats!" -- Brooks Kubik



***********************************************************************************