10 Things I Wish I Had Known

John Davis won his first World Championship at age 17 - after just two years of barbell training. He obviously trained the right way from the very beginning - but very few of us can say that.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

As I look back at my training career
over the past 50 years (and yes, it
really has been that long), I some-
times think about things I wish I had
known when I was younger - and
about things I wish I had done - or
done differently - or not done at all.

I came up with a list of 10 of them.
See if you agree with any of these:

10 Things I Wish I had Known

1. That squats are more important
than curls.

a. Even if they're Himalayan curls.

2. That hard, heavy training and good,
home-cooked meals beats any protein
powder or other food supplement by
a mile.

3. That it's very important to train
your grip - and to do it the RIGHT
way - just like the old-timers did it.

4. That the best way to learn how to train
for real is to study the training methods
of the old-timers - men who built tons
of strength, muscle and power without
drugs or super supplements.

5. That less training usually works
much better for most people.

6. That ground-based training (meaning
workouts where you spent most of your
time standing on your feet to lift, carry,
push, pull, press or squat heavy stuff)
is pretty much unbeatable.

7. That the right kind of power rack
training builds remarkable levels of
strength, power and muscle mass.

8. That championship lifting begins
with championship thinking.

9. That you need to study the mental
aspects of strength training just as
much as the physical aspects.

10. That the essence of strength training
is hard work and regular, consistent
effort over a long period of time.

a. It doesn't happen overnight.

b. It doesn't happen as the result of
any sort of over-the-top, mega-insanity
super-duper, secret training program.

c. It happens as the result of many
workouts - most of them fairly simple,
fairly basic, and fairly routine - all of
which add up to amazing results over
time.

d. And it happens as a result of sticking
to the basics and not jumping from fad
to fad at the drop of a hat.

Those are some of the things I wish I had
known when I was younger - and I'm very
glad that I know them now.

How about you? What do you wish you had
known 10, 20, 30 or more years ago?

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Dinosaur Training came out in 1996 -
and started a strength training revolution.

If you don't have a copy, go here to grab
one:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_training.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are
right here at Dino Headquarters:

Hard-copy and PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: 

"Training is important. Learn how to do
it the right way."


-- Brooks Kubik

BEFORE YOU LEAVE . . .

We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - here are several of them - head on over and take a look at the others: