12 Keys to Strength and Muscle Mass (Part 7)

Hitting a one-arm dumbbell swing with 151-pounds.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Two quick notes, and then we'll talk iron.

1. The December Dino Files

Go here to grab the little monster - and
if you missed the Oct and Nov issues,
grab them, as well:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_files.html

If you prefer a one year, 12-issue sub-
scription, we can make that happen.
Shoot me an email if you prefer an
annual subscription to The Dinosaur
Files.

2. The Strength Training Q and A

Volumes 1 and 2 of my new Strength
Training Q and A series have been a
big hit with the Dinos.

If you missed them, go here to grab
them:



http://www.brookskubik.com/oldschool-qanda.html

Each volume covers 15 to 20 training
questions, with detailed answers and
plenty of complete workouts and training
programs.

3. Building Strength and Muscle Mass

if you're keeping count, this is tip. no. 9
in my series on how to build strength and
muscle mass - and it's another good one,
covering a very important and largely
misunderstood topic.

Use Abbreviated Training Programs!

I've been banging the drum about the
remarkable effectiveness of abbreviated
training ever since I began writing about
strength and muscle building way back in
the early 1990's.

My very first article in Stuart McRobert's
old Hardgainer magazine was titled
"Abbreviated Training Works!"

In that and subsequent articles I detailed
my own experience with abbreviated training,
and how it led to enormous gains in strength
and muscle mass after about 10 years of little
or no results.

In summary, I went from 180 pounds to
225 pounds in just a couple of years.

And that was drug-free - and almost 100%
supplement-free. I took a protein powder
for a few months - and then used no supps
other than a basic multi-vitamin and mineral
tablet and a spoonful of wheat germ oil
(none of which I now recommend, but
that's another topic for another day).

I got so strong that I was able to enter and
win FIVE National Bench Press Championships
in two different drug-free powerlifting organ-
izations - lifting in the submaster's class, first
in the 198 pound class, and later in the 220
pound class.

I set over a dozen National, American, and
World records in the bench press.

And I made these gains in my late 20's and
early 30's - which is long after the optimal
age for strength and muscle gains.

I did this on a program where I trained just
three days a week for about one hour per
workout.

I usually did two exercises per workout, for
a total of five to seven sets of each exercise.

I did singles in some exercises and sets of
five reps in others.

I did each exercise ONCE per week.

That includes the bench press - where, as I
noted, I won five National championships.

And it included the squat - where I increased
my top lift by well over 200 pounds.

And the barbell curl - where I worked up to
185 pounds for five reps in strict form.

And the seated two-dumbbell press - where
I worked up to five reps with a pair of 120
pound dumbbells.

That's the power of abbreviated training -
and that's why I've been beating the drum
for abbreviated training ever since.

I know that high volume workouts and
daily workouts are all the rage now.

And I know that everyone thinks that old-
fashioned, low volume, hard and heavy
training doesn't work.

But I also know this - and I know it from
personal experience.

Everyone else is wrong.

Sorry if that sounds harsh - and I certainly
don't mean to sound egotistical - but the
simple truth of the matter is that abbreviated
training works - and for the vast majority of
trainees, it works way better than anything
else under the sun.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. You can get the EXACT training program
I followed to win five national Bench Press
championships in Strength, Muscle and Power:



http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses -
and links to all of my e-books on Kindle
- are right here at Dino Headquarters:

Hard-copy and PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day:

"If you're not sure whether something
might work for you, roll up your sleeves
and give it an honest try."


- Brooks Kubik

BEFORE YOU LEAVE . . .

We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - here are several of them - head on over and take a look at the others: