The First Feedback on Legacy of Iron 4!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

The first feedback on “Legacy of Iron 4 – York Goes to War!” comes from none other than Jim Schmitz, the man who made the Sports palace a weightlifting legend, and the Coach of the U.S. Olympic Weightlifting Team Coach in 1980, 1988 and 1992. He’s also the author of the “Olympic-style Weightlifting for Beginner & Intermediate Weightlifters” Manual and DVD, which you can order from IronMind – and which are well-worth reading and watching.

Jim is an old-school guy who got started back in 1960 – and who remembers the DAY that he began lifting (which is pretty cool) – and remembers lines from old books, training courses and magazines that he read when he was getting started (which reminds me of me) – and he’s been a big fan of the Legacy of Iron books from day one.

Jim also ends his emails with one of the greatest closing lines in history:

“I will not rest while gravity threatens my people!”

Here’s what Jim Schmitz had to say – and please note that it includes the tip of the day for building strong and massive shoulders:

“Brooks,

Today I received your latest book, "York Goes To War!” Thank you. I just started reading "Horatius" last night. I look forward to reading it and your latest in the Legacy of Iron series. I really liked your cover with 1942 Mr. America Frank Leight on the cover.

When I began weightlifting on June 27th 1960 I was following the Joe Bonomo Professional Muscle Building Power - Plus - System and Frank Leight was one of the ten instructors.

I once read a statement by Frank, I think in Strength and health, but I can't remember exactly. Anyway, Frank was extolling the benefits of "Alternate Dumbbell Presses" and he said they were the best-ever shoulder exercise.

As I remember it, he said: " Alternate Dumbbell Presses are so Good That They Can Put Deltoids on a Pencil" and I have been doing them ever since and recommending and teaching them ever since 1968.

By the way Frank had the proverbial "Canon Ball" delts that we all wanted, as well as probably the broadest shoulders of the 40's, 50's, and 60's and maybe of all-time!

Anyway, thanks for the two books. I'm off to bed to get back to Horatius. I'll give you my comments after I finish them.

"I will not rest while gravity threatens my people!"


Jim”

Jim – Thanks for your feedback, and do let me know how you like Horatius and Legacy of Iron 4.

Your line about building big deltoids on a pencil made me smile. Bradley J. Steiner used the same line in an article I read back around 1970, and it has stuck in my mind ever since. I think I even used it once or twice in my own writing.

Frank Leight trained at Sig Klein’s gym, and Klein was a huge fan of heavy dumbbell pressing. It looks like it rubbed off on Frank.

To everyone else – thanks for reading, and if you train today, make it a good one!

P.S. In between writing about the iron game, I managed to write a short novel set in ancient Rome – a novel that tells the true story of one of history’s greatest warriors and one of the most incredible battles of all time. It’s not about strength training, per se – but it’s definitely about strength. Strength of body, strength of heart and strength of will. It’s a fast-moving, fun read – and I think you’ll like it:

http://www.brookskubik.com/horatius.html

P.S. 2. Legacy of Iron 4 – York Goes to War! is flying off the shelves. You can order your copy right here:

http://brookskubik.com/legacy_of_iron4.html