Trap Bar Q and A

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Let’s do some Trap Bar Q and A today.

I rec’d an email from Thornton Abbott, one of our younger Dinos, with a ton of Trap Bar questions. Let’s tackle them one by one.

“I have been using the Trap Bar for my deadlift for the last 2-3 weeks and must say I love it.”

Well, okay, not a question, but a comment. It’s pretty common, too. Trap Bars are GREAT!

“I have made some bumper plates for the Trap Bar, must still convert them to work on my barbell since I do my lifting indoors and the tiles doesn’t appreciate the punishment I give them. So I haven’t been alternating between the Trap Bar and the barbell yet, hopefully will get the bumper plates sorted end of this week or early the next week.”

Okay, that’s not quite a question, either, but it calls for a tip: put something on the floor to cushion things – ¾” rubber mats will do well – or build a small platform for your deadlifts. Plywood (two ¾” sheets) and rubber matting will work well. And don’t drop or bounce the bar – control it!

“My father also trains with me, and he can’t go so deep with the deadlift, and finds the Trap Bar (lifted a bit) more comfortable.

So I want to try and slowly get him to use the barbell, elevate it a bit and such but want to know what the benefits would be.

He likes the Trap Bar and is working out with it, why change?”

Your dad should stick to the Trap Bar. It’s much more forgiving for older lifters.

“So what benefits and negatives are there between the Trap Bar and Barbell for deadlifts.”

It’s covered in detail here (which is also THE PLACE to get the Original Gerard Trap Bar):

http://www.trapbartraining.com/

The short answer is, the Trap Bar keeps the weight closer to your center of gravity, which gives you better leverage for heavy lifting. Better leverage means heavier weight, more muscle growth and less stress on the low back.

“I read that Gerard designed the Trap Bar and managed to improve his normal barbell deadlift with just practicing the Trap bar version, is this so?”

Yes. Al Gerard was a competitive powerlifter, and used the trap bar to help his deadlift. By the way, there is much good stuff on Trap Bar training for powerlifters in Paul Kelso’s book, Powerlifting Basics – Texas Style.

“I looked on discussion forums but half the people there don’t know what a Trap Bar is, so I don’t know how they can give their opinions then.”

Don’t worry, they’ll give you their opinions anyway.

“Also what will be the poundage difference between the Trap Bar and the barbell, plus or minus.”

It varies from person to person depending on a variety of factors, including your body structure and deadlifting style.

“Will I be able to pull more with the Trap Bar?”

See the answer to the above question.

“Also I am smoked after my deadlifts and presses, so motivation for grip work is a bit low, just using my Ivanko gripper. I assume the normal deadlift will also work my grip a lot (trying to make myself feel better when skipping the grip workout). Want to try and move the workouts so I will do the grip work at night so I have time for recovery from my deadlifts. Does that sound ok?”

You’re much better off to do your grip work AFTER your regular strength training, not later on at night. I don’t care if you’re tired – do the grip work. It will work much better when you’re sweating, breathing hard, and your heart is pumping blood like crazy.

“Last question the 2 inch and 3 inch bar, does that train crushing grip or pinch grip? My hands are so open it feels like pinch grip training.”

Thick bars train both types of grip. The thicker the bar, the harder it works the thumbs – which makes it more f a pinch grip exercise. That’s a good reason to have several thick bars of different thicknesses.

“Had a PR with the Trap Bar deadlift last night. Need to get more plates though.”

Good job – and yes, get more plates! (Needing to get more plates is a GOOD thing!)

That’s enough questions and answers for one email – so that wraps things up. As always, thanks for reading – and have a great day. If you train today, stay warm – and make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. For more information on Trap Bar training and Trap Bar workouts, as well as thick bar training and thick bar workouts, try the following resources:

1. Dinosaur Training: Lost Secrets of Strength and Development

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_training.html

2. Strength, Muscle and Power

http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

3. Gray Hair and Black Iron

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html


4. Chalk and Sweat (not yet available, but coming very soon)

http://brookskubik.com/chalk_and_sweat.html

5. The Dinosaur Files newsletter

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_files.html