Train Hard, Train Heavy, Train Smart!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

When I was a kid, the press behind
neck was widely regarded as the very
best shoulder exercise in existence.

So I did lots of press behind neck.

I got pretty good at it, too. In my
20's, I hit 225 or 235 pounds in the
seated press behind neck, at a body-
weight of about 175 or 180 pounds.

Today, I would never do the press
behind neck. Nor would I recommend it.

Why?

Because it's too tough on the shoulder
joint. For many trainees, it's a one-way
ticket to sore shoulders for life -- or
for shoulder surgery.

And similar points apply to a great
many exercises -- including a great
many exercises that were widely
promoted back in the 50's, 60's,
70's and 80's.

I write a lot about old-school training,
and I teach plenty of old-school exercises.
But I don't teach all of the old-school
methods -- and I don't teach all of the
old-school exercises. Some of them just
aren't worth doing.

As you train, and as you read about
training, keep this in mind. Don't do
something just because it's old-school
or just because someone did it "back
in the day." And don't do something just
because someone you admire wrote about
it 30, 40 or 50 years ago -- or 90 or
100 years ago.

Study the Iron Game. Learn it from the
inside out. Take the best of the present
and the best of the past and combine them
into the best possible system for YOU.

And above all else, THINK!

Peary Rader once wrote a terrific article
titled "A Lifter Must Think!"

By that, he meant that a lifter (he was
referring to powerlifters, for the most
part, although the idea applies to any
of the Iron Sports) must consider what
he is doing and why he is doing it --
and pick and choose exercises and training
methods that really work, as opposed to
doing something simply because some
Champion happens to do it.

That was good advice 40 years ago, when
Peary wrote his article -- and it's good
advice now.

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a
good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. For more about real world, no nonsense
strength training and muscle building, grab
any of my books and courses:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. If you'd like me to autograph a book or
course for you, please ask for an autograph
in the Special Instructions section of the
on-line order form.

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Train hard,
train heavy, and train smart." -- Brooks Kubik