How a 56 Year Old Dino Trains!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

My training world is an 8 x 8 wooden
lifting platform out in the garage.

I do my every workout on that platform.
It's all I need for a great workout.

I use an Olympic bar and rubber bumper
plates.

I do an Olympic lifting workout with
volume and intensity suited for an
older lifter (which is me, at age 56).

You reach an age where you can't train
like you did when you were younger,
but you still train. That's the
important thing.

I focus on a small number of exercises,
and work them hard.

I do squat style snatches and the squat
style clean. I do split style jerks and
power jerks. I do push presses, snatch
grip high pulls, clean grip high pulls,
snatch grip deadlift and shrug, clean
grip ditto, back squats and front squats.
Not all in one workout, of course. I
usually do one to three exercises in
any given workout.

Sometimes I lift from the hang. Usually I
lift from the platform. I'm going to build
some lifting blocks and do some of my
snatches and cleans from blocks, just
to see what it does.

I like Olympic lifting because it's a
very demanding, very athletic form of
training. It works your legs, hips and
back extremely hard, and that kind of
training keeps you young. Remember what
they say: "You're as old as your legs."

If I didn't do Olympic lifting, I'd still
train in the garage, and I'd still do
everything on that 8 x 8 platform. I'd
do basic, stand on your feet exercises:
squats, front squats, presses, push
presses, bent-over rowing, deadlifts
and Trap Bar deadlifts. Those are
exercises that make you strong
and keep you young.

If you're reading these words, you're a
Dinosaur, and that means you have your
own special training place. Maybe it's
in your basement or garage, or maybe
it's your favorite platform, favorite
power rack or favorite corner of the
gym.

The point is, it's YOUR kingdom. Your
lifting place. The place where you go
to get strong.

I'll be hitting it hard at about 6:45
today. I can't wait. It will be a good
one.

As always, thanks for reading and have
a great day. If you train today, make
it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Strength, Muscle and Power gives
you plenty of great workouts and plenty
of great training advice -- and so does
Gray Hair and Black Iron:

http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are right
here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Don't just do
it, do it right." -- Brooks Kubik