What My Current Workout Looks Like!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

A lot of readers have asked about my
current training program as I move
forward to birthday number 57 in
September.

So here's what's up  in the Dino
Dungeon (a/k/a the garage).

I'm concentrating on Olympic
weightlifting, with the goal
of competing in Master's level
competitions.

That means, I have to focus on the
things that are most necessary for
Olympic weightlifting -- and I don't
have much if any time and energy for
other things. So I stick to the OL
training almost exclusively.

I do squat style cleans and split
style snatches. These require lots
and lots of technique work. They're
very demanding lifts. And, of course,
I need to do lots of strength and
power training, as well.

And that's led to a little change
in the program.

I've trained three times per week
for almost my entire career, but
right now I'm giving shorter, but
more frequent, workouts a try. And
so far, it seems to be working
pretty well.

So here's what I do:

Sun

Split style snatches -- Start light
and work up, do many progressively
heavier singles. Usually finish
with five singles at my top weight
for the day (not my max, but a
heavy weight).

This is my "long" workout. It takes
an hour or a bit more.

Mon

Front squats -- Start light, and
work up, do progressively heavier
singles or doubles. Work up to one,
two, three or even five top sets,
using a weight that is heavy but
not my maximum weight.

This is a shorter workout.


Tues

Push press (taking the bar from
squat stands) -- start light and
work up, similar to front squats
but do singles only.

This is the shortest and easiest
workout.

Wed

Squat clean or squat clean and split
jerk -- start light, do progressively
heavier singles, work up to one to
three singles with my top weight
for the day.

This is another "long" workout.

Thurs

Front squat as before, or back squat
using the Dave Draper Top Squat for
the same sets/reps as front squats.

This is another shorter workout.

Fri

Push press as before, or power jerk
or split jerk.

This is another short and relatively
easy workout.

I always start with a good all-around
warm-up that includes plenty of work
with some nice wooden Indian clubs I
bought from John Wood. And I finish
with gut, grip or neck work, alternating
them from workout to workout. But the
main focus is the OL work.

Moving forward, I'll work in snatch grip
and clean grip high pulls, snatch and
clean grip deadlifts (performed Olympic
style, with the same positions and mechanics
of the snatch or the clean), and Dinosaur
Bodyweight work for arm and shoulder
stability (Dino pull-ups and pushups).

So that's what things look like right
now. Lots of iron and lots of chalk and
sweat -- and lots of fun!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. if you train today, make it a
good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. If you want to see what those split
style snatches and the other OL exercises
look like, grab this:

http://brookskubik.com/goingstrong.html

P.S. 2. Here's something to help you build
stand on your feet overhead lifting power:

http://www.brookskubik.com/militarypress_course.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses are
right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "Feel free to
experiment -- but do it wisely." -- Brooks
Kubik