The Secret of Knockout Throws!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Two quick notes and then we'll talk training.

1. Physical Culture Radio

I'm doing a regular podcast at 12:00 noon
EST on Thursdays with Carl Lanore. It's called
Physical Culture Radio, and I think you'll really
like it. Catch us live or listen to the download
at your convenience:

http://superhumanradio.com/

It's a great show that covers all things Dino.

2. The Dinosaur Files quarterly

Issue no. 2 is out, and getting great reviews from
Dinos around the world. If you missed it, go here
to grab the little monster:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurfiles_quarterly.html

If you already have your copy, shoot me an
email and let me know how you like this issue!

On the training front, let's talk knockouts.

I spotted a great video in my Facebook feed the
other day.

It was from a Greco-Roman wrestling match --
and it was one of the hardest throws I've seen
in a long time. A real power slam.

That made me think back 40 years to my wrestling
days.  I won a state championship in Greco-Roman
wrestling, and I did it by knocking out two kids in a
row with hard throws. Both of them were older and
better than me -- but the throws stunned them, and
that was that.

The year before I won a state qualifier in Greco-
Roman wrestling, and once again, won it with a
hard throw. I knocked that guy out, as well. He
was a friend and teammate. I threw him harder
than I meant to throw him.

Our coach called our 185 pounder and our Heavy-
weight King Kong and Godzilla. I wrestled 145
in the scholastic season and 154 in the summer
season. He called me the little monster. Now
you know why.

But back to those hard throws. They don't
happen without a lot of training.

The secret of hard throws is to get your hips into
the throw.  It's a total body movement. Legs,
back and hips provide most of the power.

Of course, upper body strength is very important
in Greco-Roman wrestling -- or in any kind of
wrestling. But it's the legs, back and hips that
bring home the gold.

That taught me an important lesson, and it's one
that I teach in all of my books and courses.

Train the entire body -- and train the legs, back
and hips harder than anything.

My wrestling days also taught me the importance
of stand on your feet training.

Wrestling is a stand on your feet sport. So it
makes sense to do most of your training on your
feet.

That's a bit like life in general. The human body is
designed for standing, walking and running. That's
why we need to stand on our feet when we train.

It's also why stand on your feet training is important
as we grow older. One of the goals of an older trainee
is to maintain youthful movement patterns, youthful
strength and youthful balance. Stand on your feet
exercises help do that.

That's the genesis of the advice I give you so often.

Do squats and front squats. Do deadlifts and Trap
Bar deadlifts. Do standing presses and other overhead
exercises. If you can, do Olympic lifting. Do lugging
and loading drills. Lift and carry and drag and pull
and throw heavy stuff. Work your legs, hips and back
to the max.

You didn't know it, but you were training to deliver
a knockout throw.

So if you're ever on a wrestling mat, be careful. Don't
hurt the other guy!

As always, thanks for reading and have a great day.
If you train today, make it a good one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. The Dinosaur Training Military Press and Shoulder
Power course covers one of the best exercises for
stand on your feet, knockout strength and power.

You can order it your choice of hard-copy or
Kindle e-book:

http://www.brookskubik.com/militarypress_kindle.html

http://www.brookskubik.com/militarypress_course.html

P.S. 2. Dinosaur Training Secrets, Vol. 1, covers
plenty of great exercises and workouts to build
bone-crushing knockout power. It, too, is available
in your choice of hard-copy or Kindle e-book:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_secrets_01.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses are right here
at Dinosaur Headquarters - and all of them build
real world, stand on your feet strength and
power:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the day: "If you wrestle,
wrestle tough. If you train, train tough."
-- Brooks Kubik

**********************************************