How I Plan to Celebrate My Birthday

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

It's a big day here at Dino Headquarters.

It's my birthday today.

I am now officially age 58 in civilian years. In
weightlifting years I have been age 58 since
Jan 1, and I will be age 59 on Jan 1, 2016.
It's a little confusing.

In any event, I plan to celebrate by having a
great workout and a great dinner.

If memory serves correctly, I got my first barbell
set on my birthday in 1968, so that makes 47
years of iron slinging -- although that one was
a set from Sears with gold vinyl plates filled
with concrete.

So make it 47 years of iron, vinyl and concrete
slinging.

The funny thing is, the older I get, the more I
enjoy my training. I'm not sure why that is, but
it is definitely the case.

It may be as simple as knowing that I have more
years  of training behind me that before me -- or
it may simply be that as I get older, training makes
me feel so much better than I would feel if I didn't
train.

If you're an older trainee and you have thoughts
on that, I'd love to hear from you. Is training
more fun for you than ever before? Let me
know.

Anyhow, let's get back to tonight's workout.

My workout will focus on the split style snatch. If
you've been paying attention over the past few
years, you know I've gone back and forth between
the squat snatch and the split snatch. The split
style is easier on my shoulders -- the squat style
is easier on my knees.

In the end, the shoulders have won out -- at
least for now.

And besides -- the split snatch is a lot of fun --
fast, fluid and athletic -- and it's a good test
of balance and athleticism.

I've also been doing the split style clean. That,
too, challenges your balance and athleticism.

And things that challenge your balance and
athleticism are good to do -- especially if
you are an older Dino.

Many of you have asked for more detailed
instruction on weightlifting for older Dinos
(and for garage gorillas and celler dwellers
of any age).

As in, how to perform the lifts and the related
exercises -- including the split style lifts --
and how to set up a sensible program that
doesn't require you to train "Bulgarian style"
and do nothing but train five or six hours
a day every day of the week.

If that sounds like something you'd like to see
in a course or a DVD, let me know. We can
definitely make it happen.

In the meantime, you can catch a training
session at Dino Headquarters in my birthday
DVD from four years ago:

Going Strong at 54

I filmed two back to back workouts and did a
quick demo of about two dozen different
lifting exercises in that little monster, so it
has a ton of good info -- and a lot of good
lifting. If you missed it the first time around,
grab it now.

So that's the plan: a hard workout focusing
on split style snatches, followed by a terrific
dinner.

And that's the report from Dino Headquarters --
where we still have more iron on the bar than
candles on the birthday cake!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a good
one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Go here to grab Going Strong at 54:

http://brookskubik.com/goingstrong.html

P.S. 2. My other books and DVD's -- and
links to my e-books on Kindle -- are right
here at Dino Headquarters:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Your body is
like your barbell -- if you don't use it, it
rusts." -- Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************