What One Dinosaur Learned from a Trip to the Emergency Room

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Pay careful attention because today's message
may save your life someday.

About a year ago, one of our hard-charging
Dinos asked me about some of those high-tech
super supplements. They were endorsed by
someone he respected, and they sounded
pretty good.

I told him that I don't use any supplements
other than vitamin-mineral tablets and fish
oil, and that works perfectly fine for me.

"Skip the supplements and use the money you
save to buy the highest quality food you can
find and afford," I said.

I also noted that many of the modern super
supplements come with warning labels that
read much like the warning labels for a
prescription drug.

"Don't use if you have this condition or that
condition, don't combine with this or that,
don't use if you take X or Y, etc."

Canadian labeling laws are stricter than those
in the USA, so it's a good idea to fire up the
old google and check the Canadian warning
labels. You'd be surprised at what you find.

For example, I have glaucoma (an eye disease)
and many prescription medications AND modern
supplements are contra-indicated if you have
glaucoma.

Six months ago, we had a repeat of the same
conversation. He was interested in a different
supplement. I gave him the same advice.

Last week, we had third repeat of the conversation.
Different supplement.

Same advice.

Well, I must not have been very convincing.

This morning, I woke up and found an email
with the subject line "Stupidity."

That was a bit harsh, but he's the one who
wrote it.

Long story short, he went ahead and tried
the supplement -- and ended up in the ER.

He wasn't sure what happened, but he assumed
it was a drug interaction.

Something to do with some prescription meds
he takes.

Anyhow, he asked me to let the rest of you know
about this. And I thought that was a pretty good
idea. After all, a trip to the ER is no fun.

Now, I'm not saying that you need to avoid all
supplements. That's an individual choice. You
need to make the decision.

But I am saying this: pay very close attention
to the warning labels -- and be aware of possible
interactions if you take any kind of prescription
meds -- or if you drink lots of coffee or other
products that contain caffeine -- or if you have
high blood pressure, glaucoma or any other
medical conditions.

And that's the message for today. I'm sorry if
it's not as much fun as sets and reps and heavy
iron, but it's important.

As always, thanks for reading and have a great
day. If you train today, make it a good one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. I cover supplement questions -- and tons of
other important topics -- in Knife, Fork,
Muscle:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_nutrition.html

We're also releasing Knife, Fork, Muscle in a series
of Kindle e-books. See our products page for the
links:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 2. Thought for the Day: "Train hard and train
smart. Eat well, and eat smart." -- Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************