Feedback on the 20-Rep Squat for Older Trainees

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Last week I answered a question from
a Dino in his late 40's who had read
about the 20-rep breathing squat and
wanted to give them a try - for the
first time - as in, he had never done
them before.

Here are some of the emails I received
in response. Note that some older Dinos
are still using the 20 rep squat, and that
it works well for them - but they've been
doing it for a long time. That's much
different than trying it for first time
as an older trainee.

66-Year Old Dino Does 20 Rep Squats

Brooks, I am 66 and still do 20 rep squats.

I take a little longer to recover, I concentrate
more on form and I don't get any more sore
than I do from heavy weight sets.

I think the cardio is even better for me than
the heavy weight.

Jim Douglas

How a 58-Year Old Dino Does It

I read your piece on the 20 rep squat. I'm a
58 year old Dino, and while most of the time
my rep range in the Squat and Deadlift is in
the 1 to 5 rep range, about every 5 weeks I
have a week where 2 days a week I do 20 rep
squat.

I usually do between 210 and 225 depending
on how I feel that day, but the one thing I make
sure of, is that the 20 rep squat is my only
compound leg and back movement I do on
that day.

So I'll follow it up with a set of dumbbell
pullovers, dumbbell bench pressing or
weighted dips, dumbbell rows, ab work
and grip work.

So far all is good and I hope to continue
this for a long time.

Gordon Blake

Going Strong at 48!

Great advice about the squats Brooks, I’m a
48 year old dino and follow your training
methods.

I do have a few dings and dents but I’m still
making good steady progress using kettlebells
and my CoC grippers.

Reading your books and emails keeps me
going.

Phil Jones

Jim, Gordon and Phil - Thanks for your
feedback. We'll be sharing more feedback
from your fellow Dinos in future emails.

To everyone else - I hope you have a great
day. If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Gray Hair and Black Iron is the number
one book for older trainees. Do you have
your copy?

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. Each issue of The Dinosaur Files has
a ton of great information for Dinos of all
ages. Take a look at what's inside the
May-June issue:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurfiles_mayjune2016.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses are
right here at Dino Headquarters:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "Train hard and
train smart - and as you get older, train
smarter." - Brooks Kubik

************************************************************************************