Going Strong at 60 and Beyond!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Today's my first workout at age 60,
and I'm looking forward to it.

Now, don't be confused. Longtime
readers know that my birthday is
in September. That's when I'll turn
60 in civilian years.

But in Masters Weightlifting, your
age for the entire year is figured
as of January 1 - so whatever age
you will turn later in the year is
your weightlifting age for the
entire year.

Which makes me 60 in weightlifting
years.

Later in the day I'll be out on the
lifting platform, hitting a ton of
split snatches, followed by snatch
pulls and front squats.

I do old-school split snatches because
they're easier on my shoulders. Squat
snatches are about impossible now.

And that's true not only for me, but
for most older lifters. So you end up
doing power snatches or split
snatches.

It's called "adapt and keep going." No
big deal.

But back to the workout.

It will be all singles on everything.

It will last about 90 minutes, including
a 15 minute warm-up.

And it will be tons of fun.

Weight-wise, I don't go as heavy as I
went when I was in my 30's or 40's -
but I go heavy enough to make things
interesting.

In my last workout - my last workout at
age 59 - I did a light session of clean and
jerk (doing squat cleans and split jerks).
It was one of the 70 percent workouts I
wrote about last week - a form and
technique session. Everything was fast
and easy.

Trudi stopped by the gym on her way,
said she was picking up dinner at a
favorite restaurant, and asked if I'd
like anything.

So I gave her my dinner order, she left,
and I kept on training.

One of the younger guys finished his
workout and left the gym - and he and
his girlfriend bumped into Trudi at the
same restaurant.

"Hey, I was just watching your husband
at the gym," he said. "He's STRONG!"

Trudi thought that was worth passing
along - and she didn't even know that
it was a 70 percent workout.

Anyhow, that made my day, and now
I'm psyched up for a good workout to
start 2017 - and a good workout to say
hello to age 60!

As always, thanks for reading and have
a great day. If you train today, make it
a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Here's the best book ever written
about effective strength training for
those of us age 40 and beyond:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. Each issue of The Dinosaur Files
strength training journal has tons of
great info for older Dinos - and for
younger Dinos, as well. You can grab
back issues in PDF format or Kindle.
Look for the special sections  for PDF
and Kindle books and courses at our
Products Page:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Whatever
your age, hit the iron and have fun!"
- Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************