Keep Breathing Defiance!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

QUICK NOTE: We have something new coming out on Monday morning – and it’s in stock and will be ready for immediate shipment. Be looking for it!

Meanwhile, the Dinos continue to roar – here’s more feedback on the last couple of messages from Dinosaur Training Headquarters! Read them all – including the last one – and you’ll understand why I chose the title for today’s message.

“Thank you, Brooks. I live near Cleveland Ohio and train in an unheated garage and have for years. It is encouraging to know many others to the same. Informative and useful information regarding the tips.

Nick Courtwright

“I definitely fall into the "old and banged up" category. I bought a bunch of heavy-duty cables from Lifeline and use these for standard barbell exercises. They are much more joint friendly than barbells.

I do squats (and my knees are shot) deadlifts, press, clean pulls, and almost anything you can use a barbell for. The resistance is the least at the start of each movement and gets harder as range of motion is completed. I think this makes it less stressful on my back and knees. Not quite as emotionally satisfying as weights but I rarely injure myself. I also use dumbbells and the power wheel.

Wish I was Olympic lifting but this keeps me training.

Keith Sandell”

“Totally agree with your premise.

As an older lifter, age 54, when I work out with younger guys they always question my technique since I rarely do full range of motion anymore. They are too hung up on what I would call traditional lifting.

I can't do a heavy deadlift from the floor anymore, but I'm still strong enough to do a partial with six plates on each side and that blows them away.

Same with overhead presses. I only do partial range, either top 1/3 or bottom 1/3 but with more weight than I ever used with full range, even as a youngster.

So my conclusion is: if I can do things around the house or help a friend move or carry my unconscious family member out of a burning house, who cares HOW I work out, as long as I do! (BTW, I never have carried anyone out of a burning building, that's just the motive I use to keep going. You never know!)

Rich Farawell”

“Hi Brooks, I liked today’s message. My friend Bob Hornick and I have the expression "Keep breathing defiance" that is kind of in tune with this.

Finding alternatives when you have a physical problem is a way to keep breathing defiance. I find using dumbbells gives us a way to vary grip, and positions for less discomfort in the exercises. I have been enjoying the Dino files and your e-mails. Keep up the good work, and keep breathing defiance.

74 year old Dino Carl Linich”

To everyone – Thanks for your feedback, and keep on sending it in. We love to hear from you!

Have a great weekend, everyone – and if you train today, well, you know the drill. Make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Here’s the book to read if you want to keep on breathing defiance!

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html


And here’s a great heavy-duty sweatshirt to go with it:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhairblackiron_sweatshirt.html