More Feedback from the Dinosaurs!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Let me begin with a great big shout out to everyone who served, or is serving in the Armed Forces. Happy Veteran’s Day – and THANK YOU!

And now – as promised – more feedback from Dinos -- with my responses.

1. More Praise for Bob Hoffman and Strength and Health!

“Agreed! His magazines inspired my own interest in weight lifting. Many people colloquially refer all who work out as "weight lifters" when this sport involves the overhead lifts and a kind of focus few could attain. I will dedicate tomorrow's workout to Mr. Bob Hoffman!

Stephen Amodt”

Hi Stephen – People tend to forget that “back in the day” it was Strength and Health that got so many young guys started on their training. And remember, that was back when you could find the magazine on a newsstand – think of the great public exposure that serious lifting had back then!

2. Good Advice for Older Lifters

Definitely enjoy all the great info you share via the E Mails. I'm 59 years old, and do a lot of training myself, either out on the patio or in the garage.

Workouts are a mix of powerlifting, bodybuilding, and some Olympic lifting as well. I'm making steady progress slow but sure and my 59 years isn't a cross rather a real plus. I think the secret for those over fifty is to not try to surpass what we've done but rather shoot to improve on what we're doing now. I'm not what I was years ago but I am what I am now and patience, as well as enjoying the training is a real secret I would share.

I really enjoyed your advice about training during cold weather, can say it gets kind of cold here in Florida, but also make my best gains in these times. What amazes the most is how much each exercise I do influences another thru out each training cycle.

I strive to keep training under an hour to avoid doing too much. Training is fun now like it never has been, I only use myself as a slide rule of how training goes, believe me this is so much better (for me anyways). I still have my heroes just admire their achievements and never build expectations of what others have done just continue to strive to outdo what I have done.

Clarence”

Clarence – Thanks for your email. You bring up some excellent points – using yourself as a measuring stick of your progress, enjoying your training, making it fun, and not kicking yourself as you get older. The important thing is to make it fun, keep on doing it, and enjoy your life and your training.

3. More About Cold Weather Training

Brooks, great advice on cold weather training. Once you get warmed up it is a great feeling challenging the elements. When I am done, I love going in and sitting by the fire and stretching to finish off. The Tommy Kono knee band advice is imperative for older lifters. I am on my second set and at my age I would not be able to do squats and deadlifts without them. They literally saved my training. Keep up the good work. We don't get this kind of info any place else.

Chuck Brown"

Chuck – Thanks for the feedback. I have forwarded your email to Tommy Kono – it will make his day. And I agree with you – those Tommy Kono knee bands are mandatory for older lifters.

4. Squats and Bad Knees

“Last year I ripped the cartilage in my knee and had surgery on it. I slowly got into squats and could comfortably squat 220 lbs. I don't think that is enough for me at 6.2 and 220 but I didn't want to push it too far too soon. A few weeks ago I injured my knee again (same injury, same way) and since then I haven't done any squats. I was advised by a physio not to do any squats with knees bent more than 90 degrees. Are squats done this way as effective in building strength or should I just forget about squats?

Vas Karpouzis”

Vas – Sorry hear about your knee injury. You should follow your physio’s advice on this one. Squats to 90 degrees can be very effective, especially in combination with deadlifts and Trap Bar deadlifts (full range movements and partials). Be sure to get the green light from your physio on any new exercises you try. And also, as noted above, use the Tommy Kono knee bands to keep your knees warm.

5. Admiral Peary’s Barbell

"Even though it doesn't get as cold here in Louisiana as it does where you live thanks for the tips on how to stay warm while working out. I also have a question: Where can I find a copy of the photo of Admiral Peary lifting his barbell?

Joseph Perkins"

Joseph -- I can’t recall where I saw it. I believe it was in an old issue of Strength and health. I have googled for it, but cannot find it. I did find a statue of Admiral Peary dressed in his Eskimo clothes, and the muscles bulge out from under his fur clothes – which lends support to his being a barbell man. You can google and find that one.

6. Questions from a Legacy of Iron Fan

“Am finishing "Clouds of War". A great read! Like the first one, Legacy of Iron, it is difficult to put down. Was Harry Paschall really that wise, cool and all-knowing?

Could you provide a sneak preview of no. 4 in the series? (The check's in the mail).

Thanks and keep them coming!

Matt Stewart”

Matt – Glad you are enjoying the Legacy of Iron series. Harry’s character in the series is based on his actual writing. He wrote tons, and I’ve read and studied all of it. Many of Harry’s lines in the books come right out of his articles. He was the Senior Man and with age comes wisdom.

Book no. 4 in the series is coming out very, very soon – and it’s very fast-paced. Non-stop action. It opens on a secluded beach in Hawaii, early on the morning on December 7, 1941 – so you can imagine what happens. The book covers the response of America’s strongest athletes to the attack on Pearl Harbor and America’s entry into the War. Our men and women do us proud in this book.

To everyone – thanks for reading, and have a great day – and if you train today, knock it out of the ball park!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. A year ago I released my new book about productive strength training for older lifters, and it's been a huge hit with readers age 35 and up. But many younger guys are reading it, as well -- and really enjoying the little monster. Check it out at the Dinosaur Training website:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html