The Dinos Roar -- Friday Feedback!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

First of all – be sure to listen to my radio interview today on Super Human Radio – at 1:00 Eastern Standard Time. We’ll go for about an hour, and it will be a good one.

If you miss the live broadcast, you can download it later on from Super Human Radio. And there’s no charge for this service – it’s a freebie. Consider it a Public Service Announcement for Dinos.

Since you’ll be hearing from me later today on radio, let’s hear from some of your fellow Dinosaurs right now. Yesterday we covered some questions from readers – today, we’re going to go over some reader feedback. I have ten of these to share with you, covering a variety of topics. I’ll do five in this message, and five in another message later in the day.

1. Keep It Simple!

Brooks, it seems counter-intuitive, but the more experienced and advanced I became, the simpler my training got. When I was a beginner, I grossly overtrained. When I gained intermediate status, I got tougher. When I finally became advanced, I had many years under my belt and trained like I should have when a beginner. Go figure. Basically, I was "successful" at the Iron Game despite myself. While not a "MR." or a record-holder, I consider myself a winner simply on account of a 40-plus "career" with the weights. I can't imagine not having done it. Best always. Paul Murray

2. Chalk and Sweat

Just received Chalk and Sweat yesterday, very excited about the leg and back specialization programs! Just started a breathing squat program after Christmas -- I thought it was tough till I saw John Grimek's squat routine! Looking forward to giving it a shot in the near future. Thanks for another great read! -- Brodie Sears

3. Grimek, Norberg and Legacy of Iron

Great stuff as always. Probably my favorite part of the first three Legacy of Iron books is the impromptu challenge in the barbell curl and press with Karl Norberg and John Grimek -- absolutely astounding drug free lifting from both men. For someone who didn't like curls he was a hell of a curler! BTW -- I make no apology for this teaser; anyone who loves lifting should buy the series. -- Chris Young

4. Long Term and Short Term Goals

I thought of something cool the other day, something that is probably no revelation for you. But, "knuckling down," as you put it in this e-mail, is so much easier with short-term goals. They're just as important as long-term goals. The short term ones should not be underestimated – in fact, they cannot be stressed enough.

I once had a mentor tell me that the human condition cannot be underestimated. For, if you try to fight it, in any way whatsoever, you will fail. You have to learn how to work with the human condition when you want to accomplish something; use it to your advantage. Well, likewise with weightlifting, people as a whole tend towards immediate gratification. Not generally a good thing. But you can let that little animal out of its cage to hit your short-term goals.

Long-term goals, as we know, need to be broken into short-term goals. Sure, it is physically possible to just go at it; visualizing that 300 lbs OH press (one of my personal ones) when you're at only maybe half that poundage. But why? When you can look at that VERY appetizing 15 or 20 pound jump? You can have that much sooner! I'm at 170 or 180 with 5 reps in good form at this time. I know that I can work like heck and scream ahead to 200 lbs x 5 in perfect form in a much shorter period of time! This way, I'm not agonizing over the years that it will take to get to 300 lbs (even for one rep in good form). I can utilize my natural tendency to want something right now. Well, 3 months goes by in no time flat, and surely I can visualize pummeling the iron for just a few months.

And I know that as soon as I get there, I'll have permission from myself to start thinking about 225, the BIG TWO PLATES on each side!

Keep Slaying Iron,
Robert Locke

5. Welcoming the New Year – Dino Style!

Hey Brooks, quick update from the Dino Fort here in Miami. Did some Max testing today to start off the New Year with a Mini-Meet here at the apartment. Totaled 1108 tonight:

Front Squat - 335 PR

Deadlift - 515 (Previous best is 555 but I ran out of weights in the living room!)

Press - 258 PR

A solid start to the New Year. I’m looking forward to working on a 600 lb DL, 375-plus FS, and 275 Press. Also, nailing form on my quick lifts so I can attempt to come close to Jack and Stanko's numbers! (A man can dream, can't he?)

PS. I can’t put down the Legacy of Iron books, awesome reads. Having lived there, being a York College alumni and still owning a home there, I feel great pride when reading about the rich iron history of which York is incomparable and world renowned for. Can’ wait for no. 5 in the series!

Stay Strong!

KEVIN SVERCEK, Capt, USAFR

Note to everyone:

That takes care of our first five messages from fellow Dinosaurs – be looking for more of them in my next email blast.

In the meantime, and as always – thanks for reading, and if you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. As you can see, your fellow Dinos are enjoying the heck out of Chalk and Sweat and the Legacy of Iron books. You can join them by grabbing copies of the little Dino-monsters right here:

For Chalk and Sweat:

http://www.brookskubik.com/chalk_and_sweat.html


For the Legacy of Iron books and everything else at the Dino store:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html