UK Dino Makes Great Progress!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Three quick notes, and then we'll
talk training.

1. We're mailing the Feb issue of The
Dinosaur Files newsletter today and
tomorrow -- just got them from the
printer and are stuffing envelopes
as fast as we can.

2. The new Grimek course is coming
along great -- and so is the sales
page for it -- so be looking for an
email with a link to the sales page
in the not too distant future. As in,
the next couple of days if all goes
well.

2A. Remember, we're including a DOUBLE
BONUS with the new course -- and everyone
who reserves a copy on Day One of the
pre-publication launch will get a TRIPLE
BONUS.

3. Last week I asked you to send me your
answers to five training questions. I've
been flooded with responses, so it will
take awhile to work them up and share
the results. But don't worry -- you'll
be seeing them soon.

And now, on the training front -- let's
cover another Dino success story -- and
answer a training question -- all at the
same time!

Back in November or December, UK Dino
Laine Wiltshire did something smart. He
bought a Trap Bar.

Then Laine did something else that was
smart. He started doing heavy singles
with his Trap Bar -- using the type of
single rep programs I cover in DINOSAUR
TRAINING, CHALK AND SWEAT,and STRENGTH,
MUSCLE AND POWER.

Now, Laine is an experienced lifter, and
a very strong man -- and apparently a
natural born deadlifter -- but still,
you'll be shocked by his gains.

On January 18, Laine sent me a progress
report where he stated:

"I've only been using the trap Bar for a
month or two and have worked up to 282.5 kg
(621.5 pounds) in the Trap Bar Deadlift,
with more in the tank. I'm gunning for 300
kg (660 pounds) in the next few weeks, but
still taking it slow with the singles. I
wish I had stumbled upon your work sooner!"

Two days ago, Laine sent another update on
his training and his progress:

"On January 18 my Trap Bar Deadlift was at
282.5 kg (621.5 pounds). In a little over a
month later, I'm at 310 kg (682 pounds). I'm
very pleased with this, and now have a short
term goal of 320 kg (704 pounds) and a longer
term goal of 340 pounds (748 pounds).

If anyone thinks heavy singles don't work,
tell them to think again!

The only issue I'm having is a psychological
one. As the weights get heavier, the bar looks
more daunting and puts me off stride. Silly, I
know, but it does affect me and I doubt my
ability to lift it."

Laine -- Thanks for the progress reports. You
are doing GREAT! It sounds like the combination
of Trap Bar training and Dino Style single rep
training is working perfectly for you.

It also sounds like you're doing those heavy
singles the right way -- using a top weight
that makes you work hard, but not one that
turns it into a life and death, slow, grinding
struggle. So kudos to you for training hard AND
intelligently.

As for the "look" of the bar, it's a common
problem. Tommy Kono has written about going out
to lift a barbell at a major international
championship -- and the bar was a Russian set
with 33 kilo plates that looked like 44 kilo
plates -- and Tommy thought the bar had been
misloaded, and almost panicked. He had to focus
on the bar alone, and block out the plates, to
make the lift.

I had the reverse happen when I was competing in
powerlifting comps. When I trained, I used 45 pound
plates (or 44 kilo or 33 kilo bumper plates). So
the bar had a certain "look" when it weighed 405 or
495 or whatever. In competition, they loaded the bar
with 100 pounders, which looked the same as an
old-fashioned thick 45 pound plate or a 44 kilo
bumper plate. So when I lifted in comps, the bar
actually looked LIGHTER to me!

But regardless, it's a good idea to mix things up
so you avoid the bugabear of "the bar LOOKS heavy."

I like to use a variety of plates and mix them
up so the bar never looks the same. Mixing iron
plates and bumper plates is a good way to do this
for exercises that don't require bumper plates.

Dr. Ken used to spray-paint his 45's with a
silver paint that made them look like they were
made out of aluminum. He'd load the bar, look at
it, and pretend the plates really WERE made out
of aluminum. if you train at home and use iron
plates, you might give that a try!

Good luck on the 320 kg deadlift -- and on the 340
kg lift. I know you'll make them!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. For more about single rep training for BIG GAINS
in strength and muscular development, try these:

1. Dinosaur Training: Lost Secrets of Strength and
Development

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_training.html

2. Strength, Muscle and Power

http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

3. Chalk and Sweat:

http://www.brookskubik.com/chalk_and_sweat.html

4. The Doug Hepburn Training Course

http://www.brookskubik.com/doug_hepburn.html

P.S. 2. Thought for the day: "I think the ideal
physique should look strong and be strong."
-- Reg Park