How to Stay Out of the IUSETA Club!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

I had a great workout last night.

I set two 2013 and age 56 PR's in
the snatch, using the split style
of lifting.

I had been working squat snatches
for most of the year, but switched
back to split style about a month
ago. It's much easier on my shoulders,
although it's hard on the lead knee.
(In other words, like most things
in life and lifting, it's a trade
off.)

Now, you might ask, "What's a 2013
and age 56 PR?"

It's a little something I do to help
stay motivated -- and to help avoid
the dreaded IUSETA Club.

The IUSETA Club was coined by Harry
Paschall when he was sometime in his
40's or 50's. He caught himself saying
"When I was younger, I used to lift
such and so." All his friends of the
same age did the same thing. Hence,
the "I Used to Lift Such and So
Club" -- which Harry shortened to
the IUSETA Club.

I could lift more at age 40 or 45 than
I can lift at age 56. But instead of
dwelling on what I USETA lift, I focus
on what I can lift now -- and I always
keep trying to improve my current
numbers.

Thus, I keep track of my best lifts
for every training year, from Jan 1
to Dec 31. Those are my PR's for the
year. Hence, the 2013 PR.

I also track my PR's for my current
age. Hence, the age 56 PR.

And please note -- for purposes of
tracking my current age PR's, I use
the birthday system they use in Master's
weightlifting comps. Whatever age you'll
be on Dec 31 is your age for the entire
year. So even though my birthday isn't
until next week, I've been 56 since
Jan 1. (This drives Trudi crazy --
she can't understand why I say I'm
older than I really am. Hey, it's a
lifter thing.)

I also make things more interesting
(and more fun) by tracking PR's for
my top singles, PR's for doubles and
triples (which i rarely do), and PR's
for workouts where I do 5 singles with
my top weight for the day.

Last night, I worked up to 5 singles
in the snatch -- with more weight than
I've used for 5 x 1 any time this year
(or last year). So that was a 2013 and
age 56 PR.

On the final lift, I upped the weight
and hit my heaviest snatch of the year
(or of last year). So that was another
2013 and age 56 PR.

I also track my best lifts in each age
for master's weightlifting (e.g., age
55 to 59), and my best lifts at age
50 or older.

Younger lifters don't need to worry
about this kind of approach. Younger
lifters can focus on their absolute
PR's -- for singles, sets of multiple
reps, or a given number of sets for a
given number of reps per set.

But older trainees need to stay focused
on the present -- on what they can do
NOW and three months from NOW -- and
that's when keeping track of your PR's
for the current year and your current
age can really help.

And that's how to stay out of the
IUSETA Club!

As always, thanks for reading and have
a great day. If you train today, make
it a good one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Here's the number one book on real
world, no nonsense strength training and
muscle building for older Dinos:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. This almost qualifies as a companion
DVD for Gray Hair and Black Iron -- we shot
it two years ago at Dino Headquarters:

http://brookskubik.com/goingstrong.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses are right
here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "Older is easy,
smarter is harder, stronger is hardest of
all -- but you can do it." -- Brooks Kubik