Three Feet and Fifteen Seconds!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Some people say that weightlifting
(or any kind of strength training)
is dangerous.

I disagree -- but you do need to
be careful.

Several days ago we had a storm
coming in. I had finished my
workout, but left the light on
in the garage. I didn't notice
it until I was out the door,
down the steps, across the
back yard and on the porch.

So I went turned around, walked
back to the garage, unlocked the
door, turned out the light,
locked the door again, and walked
back through the yard to the house.

Stepped onto the back porch, and
stopped -- and turned around. Not
sure why. I think I heard
something.

And WHAM! -- just like that, a
huge branch from a neighbor's
enormous old oak tree came
hurtling down from above and
crashed into our back yard.

It was about as thick through
the middle as I am through the
chest -- and it was about ten
feet long -- and it was heavy.
Heavy enough to do some serious
damage if it fell on top of you.

And it fell right next to where
I had just been walking.

Missed me by three feet and
fifteen seconds.

The cats were on the back porch,
watching the rain come in. It
made them jump when it hit.

I have to tell you, something
like that makes you stop and
think.

I looked at the shattered
wood, and I watched the rain,
and I thought about it for a
minute or two.

I've been answering lots of
questions about sets and reps
lately -- and about rest between
sets -- and how long a workout
should last. Guess I timed that
one just about right.

I went into the house.

Trudi was cooking dinner. It
smelled pretty good. Much better
than it would have smelled if I'd
been about fifteen seconds slower.

"How was your workout?" she asked.

"It was good," I said. "Real good."

The next time I trained was last
night. I hit an age 56 and 2013 PR
in the clean and jerk. It seemed
like the thing to do.

As always, thanks for reading and
have a great day. If you train today,
make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. If you want to see what my workouts
look like, grab one or more of my Dinosaur
Training DVD's:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dvds.html

http://brookskubik.com/goingstrong.html

P.S. 2. My Dinosaur Training books and
courses are right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Always give
110 percent. 100 percent is good, but you
can do better." -- Brooks Kubik