Bundle Up and Do Squats!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Two quick notes, and then we'll talk
training.

1. Sweatshirts and Hoodies.

We only have 10 left. Here's the list:

Gray Hair and Black Iron sweatshirts

2 in size L

1 in size 3XL

Dinosaur Training hoodies

1 L gray hoodie

1 L blue hoodie

2 M blue hoodies

3 S black hoodies (hint - these may be
too small for you, but they'd make a
great Christmas gift for someone)

Shoot me an email right away if you
want to order one. It's first come, first
served.

2. The New Course for Older Dinos.

Is a huge hit. Go here to order the little
monster -- and remember, it comes to
you by email, so download the link to
save and read the course:

http://www.brookskubik.com/minicourse_01.html

And please shoot me an email and let
me know how you like the course --
and how the PDF delivery works for
you.

3. Bundle Up and Do Squats!

It's officially winter now.

I know that because it was cold as heck
out in the garage last night, and I was
wearing double sweats to stay warm
during my workout. In fact, I started
out with three top layers -- but took
one layer off after I got warmed up.

So I thought I'd share some cold weather
training tips for Dinos. These apply to all
of you who train in a garage or anywhere
else where it gets cold in the winter.

1. Wear layers. They keep you warmer,
and allow you to take off the top layer
if you get too hot during your workout.

2. Wear a hat. A simple fisherman's hat
(like the kind Sylvester Stallone wears in
the "Rocky" films) will make a huge
difference.

a. A ski-band is also good.

b. Black is a good color for a hat or a
ski-band, and that's the only fashion
advice I'm ever going to give you.

3. Keep your ankles warm. If you wear
low cut shoes and sweats, wear high socks
to cover the gap between your sweats and
your shoes.

4. Some trainees like to wear gloves in cold
weather. I don't, because I want my grip to
be as secure as possible. This is one of those
"you decide" things.

5. A small heater to help keep your hands
warm is a great addition to a garage gym.

6. Do some warm-ups inside the house to
help get warm and loose before going into
the garage.

7. Do more warm-ups once you get to the
garage.

a. Good, thorough warm-ups are critical to
avoid pulled muscles or other problems when
it's cold.

8. Start light and work up in weight slowly
and gradually. Don't just run out and jump
into a heavy set.

9. If you use any kind of rubber cables, bring
them inside when you're not training. If you
leave them outside, they may snap and break
when you use them.

10. Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water
during your workout. If you want to drink
hot tea, that's fine, too.

11. Basic strength exercises like squats, deadlifts,
presses, bench presses, rowing and pull-ups are
easier to do when it's cold than exercises that
involve skill or speed, such as snatches or cleans.

a. You can do snatches, cleans and similar
movements, but it takes extra warm-up time.

b. I did squat cleans and split jerks last night,
and it worked fine, but it took LOTS of warm-up
time. I may try doing front squats first the next
time I train, to help get loose and warm for
my OL training. (See tip no. 12).

12. You may find that starting the workout
with squats or a similar movement is the best
way to get warmed up for the rest of the
program. hence, the title: "Bundle Up and
Do Squats!"

All of the above points apply double for older
trainees.

One final note -- if it's really cold and you just
can't get warm enough to do justice to the
workout, then make it a light one and come
back and hit it heavier another time.

So there you have it -- 12 training tips for
cold weather training. I hope they help!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a
good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. The Dinosaur Strength Training Archive
collects my lost articles from the original
Dinosaur Files back in 1997 -- along with
a brand new article on power rack training,
featuring a brand new power rack workout
for BIG gains in strength and muscle mass:

Hard copy

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurtraining_archive.html

Kindle e-book

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurtrainingarchive_kindle01.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses -- and
my Dinosaur Training DVD's -- and links to
all of my e-books on Kindle -- are right
here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the day: "Stay warm, and
keep on training!" -- Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************