A Dinosaur Hero

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

I often send you messages about Dinosaur
heroes -- and how somehow, against all
odds, they manage to be in exactly the
right place at exactly the right time
to help someone -- or even to save
someone's life.

And looking back on it, all you can do
is stop and ask, "How in the WORLD did
that happen?"

And that's exactly what happened to one
of your fellow dinosaurs -- my wife, Trudi.

It happened two days ago, on Christmas Eve.

I was upstairs in the study, pounding the
keyboard, when Trudi asked if I'd like to
go to a movie.

"What's playing?"

She threw out a couple of possibilities.
There were three or four good one. The best
one was "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."
It was playing at a theater close to us.
Walking distance, in fact. Showtimes were
4:00 and 7:15.

"Let's have an early dinner and go to the
7:15 show," Trudi suggested.

"Sounds good."

I turned back to my typing.

15 minutes later, I bumped into a severe case
of writer's block. I fought it for half an
hour, then threw in the towel.

I called downstairs.

"How about going to the 4:00 show?"

"Sure -- that would be great!"

So, unexpectedly, we marched off to see the
4:00 show.

After the movie, I hit the men's room and Trudi
hit the women's room -- and then we headed home.

We were almost home when Trudi discovered that
her cell phone was missing. She began fumbling
for it in her purse. No luck.

"Wait until we get home, then look again when
you have more light."

"Okay."

So we got to the house, opened the door,
stepped inside -- and Trudi flipped on the
light and checked her purse -- with no luck.

The cell phone was gone.

"I left it at the theater," she said. "I must
have left it on the seat next to us. Or maybe
it fell on the floor."

So we turned around and headed back to find
it before the next feature began.

We stepped inside, and Trudi told the manager
what had happened and asked if we could go back
and look for her cell-phone. He waved us
through.

We went back to our seats, and looked -- but
there was no phone. Not on the seats, and not
on the floor.

"Let's go check at the front desk," she said.

"Okay."

As we walked out, I retraced out steps in my
mind.

"Check the women's room," I said.

"YES! That may be it!"

So Trudi stepped into the women's room, and I
waited outside.

Five minutes later, an elderly woman, very
frail, moving slowly and stiffly, stepped
through the door. Trudi held the door for
her, and helped her through.

"Are you okay?" asked Trudi.

"I'm alright -- I'm just old," said the woman.

The woman's son -- roughly my age -- stepped
forward and took his mother's arm.

Trudi walked over to me.

"It wasn't there -- but let's check the front
desk."

We walked over to the front desk (which we
had passed on the way in without bothering
to stop and ask about the phone).

Trudi barely had time to say, "Did someone
turn in a cell-phone?" before they handed
it over to her.

We headed back outside and turned toward
the house.

"You won't believe what happened in there,"
said Trudi.

"What?"

And she told me.

She had stepped into the women's room. There
was only one other person inside -- using the
same stall that Trudi had used.

So Trudi waited.

The stall door opened.

The elderly woman stepped out and shuffled
forward slowly -- and suddenly, without any
warning, fell forward, crashing toward the
concrete, tile-covered floor.

It was one of those crushing, devastating
falls where an older person goes down so fast
they can't even break their fall.

The kind of fall that can kill a person.

But Trudi caught her.

Trudi was in exactly the right place -- at
exactly the right time -- and it was all
because of a missing cell phone.

And there's something else to consider.

When the woman fell forward, Trudi had to
react IMMEDIATELY. And she did. And that's
the result of regular training.

Trudi was strong enough and fast enough and
alert enough to do EXACTLY what needed to be
done -- and that's because she's been hitting
the iron iron for her entire adult life.

In my book, all of that makes Trudi a hero.
And it gives you one more example of why hard,
heavy, regular training is so important. As I've
said before, this stuff can save your life --
or help you save someone else's life.

Just ask Trudi.

As always, thanks for reading and have a great
day. If you train today, make it a good one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. My books and courses are available at the
usual place:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 2. My new Military Press course is right here:

http://brookskubik.com/militarypress_course.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "All Dinosaurs are
heroes. Some just don't know it yet." -- Brooks
Kubik