"Who Is It?" I Asked

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

The son brought the granddaughters over
to visit yesterday. They're 3 1/2 --
twins -- and awfully cute.

They arrived just as I was putting on
my lifting shoes and getting ready to
head out to the garage for a workout.

I stopped in mid-shoe, wondering what to
do. Hit the iron or bounce the grand-kids
up and down on my knee?

"Go ahead and train," said Trudi. "I'll
give them something to eat, and you can
see them when you get finished."

The girls came into the house, and headed
straight for their favorite toys (which we
keep on a small bookcase in the living
room).

I said hello to them, and headed out to kill
some iron.

I'm concentrating on Olympic weightlifting
now, and I always film my workouts so I can
watch it later on and check my form. So I
filmed the workout.

It was a good, hard session, with lots of heavy
clean and jerks. I'm doing squat style cleans
and split style jerks. Fun stuff -- and not bad
for a 54 year old grandfather.

It was cold in the garage, so I worked pretty
fast, with minimal rest between lifts. And it
was double sweats and a black knit fisherman's
hat (think "Rocky") the whole time -- and brief
stops in front of a small electric heater to
warm my fingers every once in awhile.

I finished up, stripped the bar down, and put
the weights back in place against the garage wall,
gathered my gear and grabbed the video camera.
Turned out the lights, locked the door, and
headed back to the house.

So, an hour later, the girls are coloring with
crayons (using the back of the first draft of
this month's Dinosaur Files newsletter, which
makes good scrap paper for young artists) --
and Trudi asks me if I had a good workout.

"Yeah, it was excellent," I said.

And then I remembered that I had filmed the thing.

So I grabbed the camera, sat down next to the
girls, and pulled up the workout. It started with
yours truly doing warm-ups with an empty bar.

"Who's that?" I asked.

I expected the answer to be "Gampaw Books" or
something similar.

But it didn't happen.

The girls shook their heads, their brows furrowed in
concentration.

"Dunno."

"Sure you do! Who is it?"

The peered at the screen intently.

"No one!"

I forwarded to some of the heavy sets. Maybe that would
help.

It didn't.

Somehow, they couldn't quite see that their grandfather
was the same person grabbing the funny bar with the big
plates and snapping it up to his shoulders -- diving into
a deep squat -- bouncing up -- and then jerking the weight
overhead.

I'm trying to figure out if that makes me feel really old
or really young for my age.

But I do know this -- I'm going to keep going with the
brainwashing -- and sooner or later those little girls
will be coming over to lift weights with me. Just wait
and see!

As always, thanks for reading and have a great day. If
you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. You can see EXACTLY what my current training looks
like in GOING STRONG AT 54 -- and you can see workouts
from the original Dinosaur Dungeon in my five original
Dinosaur DVD's:

http://brookskubik.com/goingstrong.html


http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dvds.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are right here --
along with back issues and subscriptions to the
world-famous Dinosaur Files newsletter:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "When someone says it
can't be done, they really mean it's too much work
for them." -- Brooks Kubik