The Dinosaur Mailbag

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Yesterday’s message about my old concrete barbell plates – which, by the way, are still alive and well 35 years after I cast them – brought a flood of emails from readers.

Here is a sampling of what your fellow Dinosaurs had to say – along with my responses:

1. More About Concrete Plates

Brooks, did the same thing, but I refined the concrete plate process somewhat. I found that if you used rubber baseboard material (used for vinyl flooring), you could make a perfectly round plate. Also, I calculated weight/volume for the circle and had forms for everything from 5 lbs. up to 50 lbs. Also, painting the plates with epoxy paint gave them a tougher skin. I have saved one of the 5-pounders. I got quite good at the process, especially when I learned how to get free ready-mix. Well, I made plates and gave tons away. I got out of the concrete plate business when I started buying plates, bars and everything in between in salvage yards for pennies on the dollar. It was amazing; most of it was Chinese, but occasionally I still find York and Billard rusting away. I have bought both Olympic and exercise plates this way. Next time, I'll give you a crash course on refinishing these "junk" plates to better than new. Best always, Paul Murray

Paul – That sounds awesome. You must have had some great looking barbell sets! Do you have any photos to share?

2. “Inspiring!”

I really found this inspiring. You don't mind if I pass the info on how to make homemade plates on to a friend of mine, do you? – Joseph Perkins

Joe – Thanks for your feedback. Feel free to pass it along – or just send your friend over to the Dinosaur Training Blog. It’s posted there.

3. Peary Rader

Gotta love Peary Rader. I trust HE wasn't left lying in some unmarked spot, otherwise we'd have to take care of that situation too. By the way, is there any kind of commemorative icon for Peary in his hometown or whatever? We all owe him. He's one of those people that even lifters who've never heard of him owe him without knowing it. Thanks for everything. – Simon Buchanon

Simon – I assume Peary has been well taken care of. If any of our readers live in or near Alliance, Nebraska, they could visit Peary’s grave and take a photo to share with the rest of us.

4. “Watering” Your Concrete to Cure It.

Yes, that is correct about the concrete. My dad taught me about that whenever we were putting in a new basketball pole when I was a kid. He said it helps to "cure" it. I don't think it's so much about drying it out as it is about just making it stronger. – Robert Locke

Robert – Thanks! I thought I remembered having to do that.

5. Museum Pieces

I love your story of home made squat stands and concrete plates! Do you still have them? You should put these pieces on invaluable training equipment in the Dinosaur Museum Hall of Fame! I continue to train in The Rusty Iron Dungeon! Nothing like it! – Christian Lombardo

Christian – They’re still in my parents’ garage! I’ll have to go up and get them and bring them back to Louisville – and take some photos!

6. Memory Lane and Iron Boots

Does that bring back memories! How I can relate. Like adding iron lifting boots on the end of the bar to add 5 lbs. – Cliff Werner

Cliff – Gee, you did that, too? It worked great, didn’t it?

7. The Best Move He Ever Made

Awesome article. Best move I ever made in strength training was quitting the gym and working out in my shed. I started with just my bodyweight, a 35lb KB and a jump rope. Now I have a bench, squat rack, over 1000 lbs of Olympic weights and whole bunch of homemade stuff. I love it. – Acie Bryan

Acie – I always tell people, if you can do it, training at home is the best move ever for most lifters. You can train whenever you want, you can use as much chalk as you want, you can do whatever you want – and most importantly, you can get out and CONCENTRATE on your training. That’s really hard to do at most gyms.

That wraps it up for now. I hope you had a chance to check out the cover of my new book – Chalk and Sweat. It’s right here:

http://brookskubik.com/chalk_and_sweat.html

Readers have been asking when the little monster will be available. The answer is – pretty soon. It’s at the printer now, and if all goes well, I’ll have the shipment of books in about 10 – 14 days. I’ll let you know more (and put up a sales page), when I have more info from the printer.

As always, thanks for reading, and have a great day. If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Our new Dinosaur Training Hoodies are selling like crazy. Take a look and see why:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaurtraining_hoodie.html