How a 60-Year Old Strongman Trains!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

60-year old Tony Williams is a hard-training
Dino from Texas. He sent me an email giving
a big THUMBS UP to my recent post about
training tips for older lifters.

Tony suggested that it would be fun to see
how some of the older Dinos are training --
and to get things started, he shared his own
workout:

"Here is mine:


Workout No. 1

Leg press

Pull-down

Incline chest press


Workout No. 2

Deadlift

Negative chins

Negative dips


The workouts are alternated EVERY SEVEN TO
10 DAYS.

All exercises are taken to failure except
deadlifts.

Within the last few months, I have gone to
heavier weights and lower reps and have seen
better results.

I am 60 years old. Although I need more rest
between workouts than i did when I was younger,
I still have incremental improvements, and I
think the extra rest is one of the keys to
improvement.

Frankly, I cannot remember the last time I was
injured lifting weights. The best thing I ever
did was convert to all-compound exercises in my
workouts. Especially when I was younger, I did
far too much, with far too many isolation
exercises.

To me, if you want to get stronger, lift heavy
with few reps."

Okay, now go back and re-read Tony's program.

Note that he does TWO different workouts -- with
THREE exercises per workout -- using heavy weights
and low reps -- and he trains once every SEVEN TO
10 DAYS.

And at age 60, he's making progress from workout
to workout.

I keep saying that rest and recovery is one of the
keys to successful strength training for any lifter,
at any age -- but it's even more important for older
lifters. And Tony is one of many older Dinos who is
living proof of exactly that.

Always remember -- training is important, but so is
recovery. For great results at any age, you need to
maximize both!

As always, thanks for reading and have a great day.
If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. For more about effective strength training for
older lifters, grab a copy of Gray Hair and Black
Iron:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. For more feedback from trainees of all ages,
sharing their workouts, their ideas, and their
experiences, subscribe to The Dinosaur Files
newsletter. You can get the May 2010 thru April 2011
back issues here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_files.html

And you can order a subscription for the current
subscription year (May 2011 thru April 2012) here.
We'll start your subscription with the May 2011
thru December 2011 issues, and then send the rest
of them month by month until April 2012 -- that way,
you'll have the complete set:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurfiles_renewalpage.html


P.S. 3. My other books, courses, and DVD's are right
here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the day: "Train for strength and
health will follow." -- Brooks Kubik