Lone-Wolf or Multi-Station?

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

I got a catalog of strength and conditioning
products in the mail the other day.

One of the items was a great big multi-station
thing that looked like a big piece of play-ground
equipment. It combined pull-up bars, overhead
supports and hooks for suspension system training,
monkey bars, dipping bars, push-up bars, places to
attach ropes and bands and cables -- all sorts of
stuff.

One of the things was so big that up to 10 people
can train on it at one time.

Another was even bigger. It can handle 20 people.

I have to admit, I looked at this with mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it's great that more and more people
are dropping the typical Chrome and Fern workouts and
starting to do some serious bodyweight training
instead. And this multi-station thing had some cool
stuff.

But on the other hand -- I'd hate to train with 10 or
20 other people using the same piece of equipment.

I've been training alone for so long that I've become
pretty much of a hermit. It's just me, the barbell,
and the lifting platform. If I do a bodyweight
workout it's just me, the ropes, the rings and the
wrestling mat.

I train alone because it allows me to CONCENTRATE as
deeply as possible on each and every rep of every
exercise I do. And concentration is one of the most
important skills for a serious trainee. It's your
secret weapon for great gains.

I've trained in gyms before, and when I did, I
managed to focus on my training and shut out all
possible distractions. And if I ever had to do it
again, I certainly could. But it's easier to
concentrate when I train by myself.

Other people may be different. Some of you may do
better when you're training with other serious, like-
minded individuals. You may find it helps to have
spotters, coaches, and encouragement. You may find
it helps to compete against others. If that's the
case, then go for it.

Remember, we're all different, and we all need to
find what works best for us.

Now -- getting back to those multi-exercise
stations -- I have to admit, they would have been
pretty darn good when I was a high school wrestler.
We could have run through them for 30 minutes or so
at the end of wrestling practice -- and it would have
been a pretty good workout!

As always, thanks for reading, and have a great day.
If you train today -- whether it's alone or with a
bunch of other folks -- make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. That 20 person multi-exercise workout station
won't fit in your Christmas stocking -- but I have
a ton of books, courses and DVD's -- as well as shirts,
sweatshirts and hoodies -- that would look awfully
good under the Christmas tree:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 2. For more about concentration -- including
a detailed approach to developing your powers of
concentration to the absolute maximum -- grab a copy
of DINOSAUR TRAINING:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_training.html


P.S. 3. I also cover concentration in detail in
DINOSAUR BODYWEIGHT TRAINING:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_bodyweight.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "I train because the
idea of not training is impossible to imagine."
-- Brooks Kubik