Poundage Goals for the Push Press!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Last week I sent you several posts
about poundage goals for the military
press (performed for one rep) and the
alternate press with two dumbbells
(performed for five reps with each
hand, i.e., ten reps total). If you
missed them, you can find them at
the Dinosaur Training Blog -- just scroll
on down after you read this post.

In response to these posts, I've
rec'd tons of questions about poundage
goals in other lifts. I'll try to answer
some of those questions this
week.

One of the most common questions involved
the push press. A number of Dinos wanted
to know how the push press compared with
the military press.

Bob Hoffman doesn't help us with the push
press, because he didn't give poundage
goals for it. Back then, trainees didn't
use the exercise that much. They stuck to
strict military presses and jerks.

But here's something that may help you.

My all-time best in two hands clean and
military press with barbell was 275 pounds.

My all-time best in the two-hands push
press (taking the bar from squat stands)
was 320 pounds.

So my top push press was 16 percent higher
than my top military press.

So if we use that number as a rule of
thumb, you can take Hoffman's Gold, Silver
and Bronze standards in the military press
and add 15 percent -- and that would give
you Gold, Silver and Bronze medals for
the push press.

By the way, that 320 pound push press came
after a concentrated program of power
rack training, as detailed in my video
on Power Rack Training. The little monster
has been remastered to DVD, and it shows
my first ever push press with 300 pounds.
You can find it right here, along with my
other Dinosaur Training DVD's:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dvds.html

Anyhow, I know that many of you enjoy the
push press. Now you know what to shoot for
when you hit it!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a
good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Strength, Muscle and Power is another
good resource on power rack training:

http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

P.S. 2. My other Dinosaur Training books
and courses are right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Strength
training is like tiddly-winks. People
have forgotten how to do it." -- Brooks
Kubik