A Quick Tip on Power Rack Training

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

In response to my recent email on
isometric and isometronic training,
one of our readers sent in this
email:

Hi Brooks,

I'm new to your email list. I have
enjoyed the daily topics. The
information is encouraging.

My reply is in regards to isometric
and isometronic training.

In the mid 80's, I was a student at
Oregon State University, working on
my BS in Health and Human
Performance.

My favorite instructor was J.P. O'Shea.

Dr. O'Shea was a very accomplished
Pan American weightlifter in the 50's,
and the author of many books on
strength development.

He did research on "functional
isometrics." This was barbell
training in a power rack, where
near maximal loads were lifted
from a lower pin and held against
an upper pin for approximately
five seconds. 

The range of motion was only a
couple of inches. 

The position trained was usually
in the range of the least mechanical
advantage of the lift.

I had the privilege of training with
Dr. O'Shea for a 10-12 week cycle
of functional isometric squat training.
I would have to say this was some
of the most mentally challenging
training I have ever done.

I believe I still have a research
paper he wrote on the subject.
 
I will attempt to locate and pass
on to you if I find it.

Dan Morgan

Thanks for your feedback, Dan. That
method of training is a very good one.
I consider it to be isometronics rather
than isometrics, but the label doesn't
matter.

What matters is that it's a very good
way to build some serious strength
and muscle.

I cover this type of rack work - and
many other types of rack work in
Strength, Muscle and Power.

These methods are some of the toughest
and most effective training methods out
there - and for serious trainees, they're
hard to beat.

If you find that research paper, send it on
in - I'd love to see it! I have an autographed
copy of Dr. O'Shea's book, Quantum Strength
Fitness II, and I really enjoy it.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Go here to grab Strength, Muscle and
Power:

http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

P.S. 2. Remember to grab the January issue
of The Dinosaur Fules:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurfiles-january2017.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses - and
links to all of my PDF and Kindle books and
courses - are right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "Old gold still
spends, and old iron still builds strength
and
muscle." - Brooks Kubik

***********************************************************************************