The Guy Who Told Me to Stop Lifting

Going strong at age 60 - much to the amazement of the folks who thought weight training was bad for you.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

A guy once told me I should
stop lifting weights.

"It's not healthy," he said.

"You're too old for it," he
added.

And then he said, "You'll
hurt yourself."

Mind you, this was 30 or
more years ago - when I
was in my late 20's.

That was many years ago -
but I still remember it.

I always wondered what he
had against weight training.

Or why he thought that it
was so bad for you.

Of course, in his defense,
that's what many people
(perhaps most people)
used to think.

This is what keeps me young and strong and healthy.


Anyhow, I'm 60 now, and
I'm still hitting the iron like
clockwork.

I train at home, mostly out
in the driveway of our
apartment, using some
thick rubber stall mats
for a lifting platform.

I do snatches, clean and Jerk,
high pulls, front squats and
similar stuff - and I have
tons of fun.

I train alone. I like it that
way. No distractions. I can
concentrate and focus.

It works pretty well.

I'm strong and fit and healthy
as a horse.

And I look at least 10 years
younger than I am - or
maybe 20 years younger.

Front squats help keep my legs healthy and strong.


Anyhow, I'm glad I didn't
listen to that guy - and stop
lifting - and take up stamp
collecting or tiddley winks.
Iron slinging is much better.

In fact, it's better than
anything.

Moral of the Story:

When people tell you to stop
lifting, don't say anything -
just nod your head politely,
smile, and put more weight
on the bar.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik



We have over 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore. 

For a complete list and links to all of them, go here: