"What Kind of Shoes Do You Wear?" He Asked

Doing split style snatches with my Chuck Taylors. This was a test to see how well they worked. For squat style lifting, and for squats or front squats, I always wear OL shoes. 


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

I've been posting lots of photos
and videos on Instagram. You
can see them right here:

https://www.instagram.com/brooks_kubik/?hl=en

Anyhow, one of our many
Texas Dinos wrote in to ask
what kind of shoes I was
wearing in the training
videos.

He wrote:

Brooks,

I was looking at the videos on
your Instagram.

Your lifts are seamless and
have such fluidity. Inspiring
stuff.

My question is, it looks like
you wear regular sneakers
and not lifting shoes.

Is there a reason, and does
it matter what kind of shoes
you wear?

J. Garcia

Thanks for the question!

Here's the answer.

I do Olympic lifting now. And
that dictates what kind of shoes
I wear.

When I do the clean and jerk,
I use the squat style of cleaning.
You need to wear OL shoes to
do squat cleans. They help you
maintain an upright torso in the
squat position.

Doing front squats - and wearing OL shoes.

Paul Anderson doing a heavy clean and press. If you look closely, you can see the heel on his shoes. Anderson used squat style cleans in his lifting, so he needed a shoe with a heel.


In contrast, I use the split style
of snatching (which is easier on
my shoulders at age 60).

You can do split style cleans in
OL shoes or in sneakers. So I've
tried both to see which I like best.

John Davis doing a split style snatch in old-school, flat bottomed shoes with no heel. You don't need a heel for split-style snatches.


I prefer OL shoes even for split
style snatches. They give me much
more support. And the raised heel
helps me maintain a better position
at the start of the lift.

When I do squats or front squats,
I do them OL style - with an upright
torso - so I need to wear OL shoes
for them.

Anyhow, you'll see some photos and
video where I was testing how well
Chuck Taylors worked on split style
snatches.

But that was purely a test - and just
for the split style snatch.

You also mentioned the fluidity of
my lifts. We'll talk more about that
in another email. It doesn't happen
by accident.

Anyhow, be sure to check out the
Instagram page. It's a lot of fun.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik



We have over 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore. 

For a complete list and links to all of them, go here: