A Question from an Older Lifter (Part 2)

 
I work hard on my front squats, but I don't do eye-balls popping out of the head death sets. At age 60, that's not necessary - and it's usually counter-productive. Older trainees should always leave some gas in the tank.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Last week i shared an email from
an older Dino.

He has a 67-year old friend who's
a longtime (50 years) trainee.

He likes doing sets of 10 to 20 reps
in the squat and he wants some
ideas on what would be a good
poundage goal for him - for 20
reps.

I replied with an email where I
asked some follow-up questions:

What does he weigh?

How tall is he?

How lean is he?

Does he do any kind of cardio
work?

What is he doing right now in
his squats (sets, reps, weight)?

Is he doing parallel or full
squats?

Is he currently doing 20-rep
squats? If not, how long has
it been since he did them?

What did he do in his 20 rep
squats when he was younger?

What does he handle in his
other big exercises?

It's hard to suggest poundage
goals in a vacuum - so I've
asked for more information.

I should also note that MANY
older Dinos have written in
to suggest that lower reps
are much easier on your
body when you're an Iron
Game veteran.

I agree with that. I know it's
true in my case.


Getting set for lift-off. I do singles in all my cleans and snatches because I want to do each rep in letter-perfect form.

Plus, when you perform lower
reps you can do every rep in
perfect form. With higher reps,
trainees tend to get tired, lose
form and start cheating.

So rather than 1 x 20 for your
working sets, I'd suggest doing
1 to 3 sets of 3 to 5 reps.

These should NOT be slow,
grinding, eyeballs popping
out of your head sets.

They should be challenging,
and you should need to focus
and concentrate on them, but
you should be 100% capable
of doing every rep of every set
in perfect form.

I cover this in detail in Gray
Hair and Black Iron. Pull your
copy off the bookshelf and
reread it. If you don't have a
copy, grab one today:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted
when I get a response to my
questions.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Here's the link again for
Gray Hair and Black Iron:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

2.  My other books and courses are
right here at Dino Headquarters:

Hard-copy and PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html

3. Thought for the Day: "Whatever
your age, strength training is the
very best thing you can do for
yourself." -- Brooks Kubik

We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - here are a couple of them - head on over and take a look at the others: