Old-School Training with Bruno Sammartino!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

When I was a kid, I was a huge fan of
pro wrestling. I bought all the wrestling
magazines I could find (Wrestling review
and The Ring Wrestler were favorites),
and I watched the AWA matches on UHF
TV.

I saw Crusher and Bruiser, Verne Gagne,
Billy Red Lyons, Red Bastien, Luis Martinez,
Wilbur Snyder, Prince Pullens, Yukon Moose
Cholak and Eduardo Carpontier. I cheered
for all of them.

But I never saw my favorite wrestler on
TV. I only read about him in the magazines.

He was Bruno Sammartino, the Italian
Strongman who ruled the WWWF (the predecessor
to the WWE) for many long and glorious years.

Bruno was a thickly muscled weightlifter
and powerlifter, who had set a world record
in the bench press with a whopping 565 pounds.

They said he was the strongest man in wrestling,
and he sure looked like it.

One day, I was reading a wrestling magazine,
and I spotted an ad for a training course that
Bruno had written. Needless to say, I ordered
the little monster immediately.

The course was great. It combined weight training
and bodyweight exercises. You lifted three times
per week and did the bodyweight course on two other
days.

Bruno also suggested that you do some running if
you planned to go out for any high school sports.

For a teenager, that was pretty good advice.

An older trainee would find it tough to hit three
weight training workouts, two bodyweight workouts
AND do some running. It would work better to do
2 weight training workouts and one bodyweight
workout -- or to train three times per week or
every other day and alternate between weight work
and bodyweight work. The running (or other cardio)
could come in on off days or (better) after the
weight training or bodyweight sessions.

Of course, another way of doing things is to
combine weight work and bodyweight training in the
same workout. You can do this by selecting one or
two barbell or dumbbell exercises and one or two
bodyweight exercises. Use a divided workout
schedule so you have three different workouts,
using different exercises in each of them, and
rotate between them.

I was thinking about this because so many Dinos
have ordered Dinosaur Bodyweight Training -- and
many of them have been combining bodyweight
workouts with weight training workouts.

I go into more detail on how to do it in
Dinosaur Bodyweight Training -- and I even
include a special bonus that gives you step
by step instruction on how to combine the two
training methods.

So I guess we're carrying on a time-tested and
time-honored tradition -- one that goes back to
the original Bruno Sammartino Course (and even
earlier).

Serious iron. Serious bodyweight training. They're
both great. Put them together, and you have
something that's double great.

As always, thanks for reading, and have a great
day. If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. You can grab Dinosaur Bodyweight Training
right here. If you'd like me to autograph your
copy, just include a request in the special
instructions section of the on-line order form:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_bodyweight.html

P.S. 2. My other books, courses and DVD's are right
here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Wrestlers need a
particular kind of strength. They require all-
round development." -- George Hackenschmidt