A New Twist in My Training

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Last night I trained in the Fortress of
Strength, a/k/a The Dinosaur Dungeon
(although I actually train in the garage
now, so it's not really a dungeon).

I did a 15 minute general warm-up to get
loose and limber, and then did power
snatches, followed by dumbbell snatches
dumbbell swings.

It took about 90 minutes. That's a long
workout for me, but I've been training
extra hard lately. I guess the Olympics
have got me fired up!

I've been doing something interesting,
and I wanted to share it with you. I'm
training every day now -- sort of.

I hit the iron 3 times a week, on Tues,
Thurs and Sun. But on the other days,
I go out to the F of S, a/k/a the D D,
a/k/a the garage, and do 30 to 45
minutes of stretching and mobility
work, focusing on the muscle groups
that are tightest and on the parts of
the body that need to be as loose and
limber as possible for Olympic style
weightlifting.

For example, I need loose, limber
shoulders to do snatches, cleans and
jerks, so I do a combination of static
and dynamic stretches for my shoulders,
along with five or ten minutes of Indian
club work.

This is actually similar to something
I did as a high school wrestler. Back
then (don't ask me how long ago) I
would do up to an hour of stretching
and flexibility work every day.

It worked pretty well. I was so flexible
that I could get out of holds by going
into weird positions that the other guy
had never seen before because he'd never
wrestled anyone as flexible.

My only problem was that the referee
would stop the action sometimes right
when I was about to reverse a guy or
score a take-down because he thought
I was going to hurt myself.

I used to say, "I'm fine, ref -- let me
wrestle!"

Anyhow, at age 55, I'm not going to
turn back into the Junior Rubber Man
that I was when I was 17 -- but I bet
I can improve my current levels of
flexibility pretty significantly.

Anyhow, yesterday was a lifting day.
Today will be a stretching and mobility
day. And I'll also do plenty of form and
technique work with a broomstick. That
will set things up nicely for Thursday,
when I hit the iron again.

By the way, my power snatches last night
went up like rockets and felt better than
they have in ages. It looks like the extra
shoulder stretches and Indian Club work
are already starting to pay off.

I'll keep you posted on my progress -- so
stay tuned to the Dino Channel!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a
good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Step up and reserve your copy of my
new book, Dinosaur Dumbbell training during
big pre-publication special:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dumbbelltraining.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are right
here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Review your
strengths and weaknesses, and then work hard
to turn your weaknesses into strengths."
-- Brooks Kubik