Swing Your Way to Strength and Power!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

We'll talk training in a minute,
but first of all, I want to give
a big shout out to Peter Bolsius.

Peter is a long-time Dino and has
written some great articles for
the Dino Files newsletter. He
even made the cover of one issue.

And now, he has achieved a life-
long dream. He's opening a Dino
style gym in Sydney, Australia.
The grand opening for Mojo Strength
is 2:00 to 5:00 on Saturday, Aug
4. The gym is at 589 Bunnerong Rd
Matraville. If you live anywhere
near, go over and check it out.

Opening your own gym -- especially
a Dino style gym -- is a pretty
good thing to do. The world needs
more good gyms. So kudos to Peter
for getting it done!

On the training front, Bill Kociaba
sent in a very interesting workout
report that I want to share with
you. Bill is about my age. I'm 55
and I think he's 54. So he's been
training for a long time -- but you
can always learn something new, no
matter how long you've been training,
and Bill learned something new and
valuable in his last workout.

Bill writes:

"I know infrequent workouts with lots
of recovery time are the way to go for
strength increases, but what just
takes infrequent to a new level.

As I mentioned to you a bit earlier,
I have really been getting into
kettlebells for the past couple
of months.

Today, my right forearm and elbow
were bothering me, so I decided to
skip the kettlebell work and do Trap
Bar deadlifts, which I have not done
since early May.

In that workout (last May), I did
272 x 3, with no belt. (I have stopped
using a belt.)

Anyhow, I pulled 270 today, and it felt
like nothing, so i tried 290 for an easy
double, then 302 for an easy single, and
finally 312 for a not so easy but still
solid rep.

That was 40 pounds more than I had ever
pulled without a belt, and the most I
have pulled in probably 20 years. Pretty
amazing considering I haven't had anything
heavier than a 70 pound kettlebell in my
hands in the past two months!

I think the full body movements like the
swings and snatches had a lot to do with
the increase. I just felt more solid and
the reps moved smoother and faster.
   
I'm going to put the TBDL back in maybe
every second or third week and see how it
goes.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Bill Kociaba"

Thanks for the report, Bill! Your experience
with kettlebell work is similar to my own
experience with Dino style dumbbell training
lots of dumbbell swings, cleans and snatches).
They have tremendous carry-over effect for
deadlifts and Trap Bar deadlifts.

BTW, Herman Goerner used to do lots and lots
of dumbbell and kettlebell swings -- and he
was the greatest deadlifter of his generation.

I like your plan of using the kettlebells
for swings and snatches, and doing the TBDL
every two or three weeks. Keep us posted on
your training and your progress!

As always, thanks for reading and have a
great day. If you train today, make it a
good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Dino style dumbbell training will
make you strong, fast and powerful! Learn
it all in my new book, DINOSAUR DUMBBELL
TRAINING:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dumbbelltraining.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are
available right here at Dino Headquarters:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "You'll have many
workouts during your life, but the most important
workout is the one you have today. Make the most
of it." -- Brooks Kubik