A Thank You and A Training Update

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Let me begin with a big THANK YOU to
everyone who responded to my question
about the four-week Dinosaur Training
class (presented as an audio seminar).

Many of you said you prefer books
and courses to audio programs -- which
I can certainly understand, being an
ink on paper guy myself.

Others said you wouldn't be able to
make all four sessions, and that's
understandable as well.

Several of you said you wanted to
participate, but were in a bit of
a wampum crush right now -- so I talked
to the Entheos folks, and we've dropped
back to the original Early Dino Special.
So the tuition only runs fifty clams.
Not much wampum, and I hope it helps
for any who are interested.

Those who signed up for one hundred
claims will get a refund of fifty clams.

It looks like it will be a small class,
so that gives those in the class more
time for questions of their own. I guess
it will be more like a Masters Class with
lots of one on one attention -- which is
great!

And as I said yesterday, if it's not your
cup of tea, that's fine.

But if you ARE interested, and you like the
idea of fifty clams for tuition, here's the
link:

http://www.entheosacademy.com/courses/Dinosaur-Training

So, that's that, and now let's talk training.

I absolutely killed my shoulder a few weeks
ago doing some things I haven't done for awhile.
The first workout hurt -- the next one HURT --
and the one after that HURT DOUBLE.

And before you knew it, I was walking around with
a shoulder so sore I could barely comb my hair.

So, part of the lesson is -- if you're an older
Dino, be careful when you try new exercises (even
if you used to do them all the time) -- and if
it hurts, you might want to re-think things. NOT
DOING the stuff that hurts is ALWAYS an option.

Anyhow, it was a major pain, and I was grumbling
and being in a bad mood about it. I scheduled an
appointment with a sports-oriented chiropractor,
but he has an on-line scheduling system, and
being an old-fashioned ink on paper guy, I set
it for a week down the road instead of the next
day, as I had intended.

BTW, the chiropractor used to have an office at
a Crossfit box, which was probably great for
business.

But to continue with my story -- I was sore and
stiff and tight and I tried to work it out, and
nothing worked very well. Grumble, grumble.

The next day, I went out to do more of the "work
it out" stuff, and then I just said, "To heck with
this!" -- and I did a workout of nothing but light
power snatches up to about 70 percent of max.

The shoulder was tight at first, but got looser
and looser as i did my sets. By the time I finished,
it actually felt better than it had felt in weeks.

And that night, for the first time in a long time,
I was able to sleep through the night without
shoulder pain waking me up.

The next day, I felt pretty good -- and although
the shoulder is not 100 percent yet, it's doing
enormously better.

That's interesting, because most people would think
that power snatches would hurt rather than help a
sore shoulder. But in my case, they helped.

Now, everyone is different, and every shoulder
injury is different -- and I'm not a medical
professional, and this is not medical advice.
I'm just sharing an account of something that
worked for me. It may or may not work for anyone
else -- and for some injuries, it would probably
be a very bad idea.

One take away from this is that the Olympic style
movements seem to help my mobility and flexibility.
And at age 55, that's as important as strength,
power and muscle mass. You want all of them. (You
also want to be as lean as possible, but that's
another topic for another day.)

Anyhow, I hit power snatches again last night and
worked up to 80 percent of max, and my shoulder
still feels pretty good.

Guess I'll keep doing power snatches.

That's the report from Dino HQ. As always, thanks
for reading, and have a great day. If you train
today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Here's the link again for the four week Dinosaur
Training class:

http://www.entheosacademy.com/courses/Dinosaur-Training

P.S. 2. Dings and dents are part of the game for
older lifters -- but you want to avoid them as much as
possible, and you want to know how to work around them
or get past them. GRAY HAIR AND BLACK IRON will help --
it's the only book available that deals with serious
lifting for older trainees -- and it's required reading
for anyone over the age of 40:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 3. My other books and courses are right here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "Iron rusts when it lays
around. So do people." -- Brooks Kubik